Lincoln Welder

To: lsr_man@yahoo.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Lincoln Welder
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 18:20:09 EST
        Dick, Before Darrell moved to California in '94, he often used my SP
100
Lincoln welder, a nice little welder that surprised us at times ....... we
have even
used it to weld 5 / 16 " plate at times, with good penetration, and it covers
many
of the jobs you' ll run into on building cars, but naturally a unit with more
amperage allows you to tackle heavier stuff you might be working on  ........
       Darrell & Doug did use his SP 125 for just about all the steel on the
car,
including the roll cage and all the chassis work, brackets and such .  The
headers were tacked together with MIG, there in California, and then were
shipped here to Connecticut, where Doug finished them completely with
TIG welding, which he also used for all the many aluminum or stainless
goodies
on the car, and it is really the way to go for professional looking quality
welds .
      If you plan on doing a lot of welding on aluminum, as well as shooting
for
those fantastic looking welds you see on many top notch racecars and
components, you might want to invest in a good Heliarc setup with a water
cooled torch which is nice if you weld a lot in a short period of time .
       The little SP 100 works great on body work ....... the boys used mine
when we chopped Darrell' s ' 65 Impala hardtop, now sitting in California,
and we were all very pleased with the welds it provided  .......
       One other thing you would find VERY handy is a plasma cutter  ........
this saved lots of fabrication time on Black Radon .  I wish I had owned one
of
those waaaay back before they were available ......  Like the Fifties  !!!
       HAVE  FUN there in your shop ........ building fast cars is as much fun
as driving them ....... and lasts a lot longer !!!
        Bruce  ....... who has welded on more cars n' stuff with oxy acetylene
than anything else ...... and I guess that really dates me  ........
       (  Fords had  WIRE  wheels the year I was born  )