Re: Parachute

To: "Nafzger" <nafzger@vtc.net>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Parachute
From: "The Butters Family" <bbutters@dmi.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 21:29:11 -0800
     I hope Tom doesn't get upset at me for passing on some of the
information about his chute deployment after his 450mph WOS 2000 run.  " The
high speed parachute deployment shows up as a spike on the accelerometer
about 6000 feet after shutoff, right passed the 6 mile marker as your video
shows( Herbie Furgusons) at 370mph. A shade fast but not so much that it
should have failed the riser. That chute had been deployedat close to 380mph
during speedweek 98 without any problems. The second high speed chute shows
up at under 350mph about 3/4 mile further down the track. The riser failure
on it looks like it may have tangled into a knot which effectively strangled
it to failure. These chutes are being modified to include a front coverpanel
to keep the canopy contained until they are streamed out with line tension
established before the canopy inflates to reduce shock loads applied to the
risers. The low speed chute will be replaced with a ribbon style canopy to
maybe survive the back up highspeed scenario better. The risers will be in
deployment bags to stretch them awayfrom the carand prevent tangles and be
made from  stronger materials than the broken ones."
.  L>Kvach Butters in N.Idaho  with winter breathing down my neck and only
1/2 the wood I need for the winter in the wood shed