Re: peaceful

To: Wester S Potter <wspotter@jps.net>, Dave Hinni <dhinni@primary.net>
Subject: Re: peaceful
From: Joe Timney <joetimney@dol.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 11:03:34 +0000
Well!!! How do I begin. I have been racing 35 years, 38 if you count the
wooden carts with baby buggy wheels we built in my dad's garage. This
weekend we had a buyer waiting for me to get my "Green Hat" when after a
195+ mph pass, I wrecked the car. The car took a right hand turn when the
chute opened and I shot off the course...went airborn, then did some
"Agricultural Engineering". The first landing was the worst, it hit on the
driver's side and filled the car with dirt. Now I know how it must feel to
'get dusted in' on a dry lake bed. I didn't think that thing would ever stop
sliding sideways and I could not see to give any input in the steering.

The first people to reach the car were the Shut-Down Crew of Mike Poteete
and Dave Hinni. After they put the fire out, they came around the car to
where I was standing to see if I was all right! I will "NEVER" forget the
expressions on their faces!!! I really scared the crap out of them! I'm
sorry guys but 'THANK YOU FOR BEING THERE SO FAST'. I was so happy to hear
you coming when I was still in the car as I couldn't see a thing the dust
was so thick. Then the pits 'emptied out' as everybody came to help. It
seamed that I was the calmest person there. We all know that wasn't the
case!!!

In the middle of this mess, one of the bike guys, Dash, picks up a Dead Rat
by the tail that I killed with the car and said " Hey Joe, look what you
did!!! The whole crowd broke up. Now, I knew that the jokes would start, The
Exterminator, The Rat Killer, etc. I guess the Environmentalists will be
protesting ECTA for cruelty to animals next season!

The joking aside, John Beckett built a tank of a car. THANK YOU
JOHN!!!!!!!!!!!!When it was sliding sideways, I do remember thinking about
that 1/4" thick steel plate in the floor( it was probably the reason it
didn't flip over as I was about 45 degrees over when I was in the air).

In the end, the car is fixable, I only have a brused body,  I know that I
don't mind flying but the landings are too hard and I don't like to see
"that expression" on peoples faces...I'm really sorry for the scare!!!

Don't EVER bitch about tight seat belts, the last thing I did before that
run was 'make the shoulder belts tighter' and Beckett had them pretty tight
already. And I did "Thank God" for the safe escape.

The 2000 racing season has been a Wonderful Season for me, a lot of records,
the 200 mph club at Bonneville and meeting some of the finest people on
earth! People who "Really Care About Each Other". I just needed one more
pass!!!!

joe ( 4.348 mph and one car from a "Green Hat")