Volunteers at Speed Record Attempts

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Volunteers at Speed Record Attempts
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 13:04:48 -0400
May I take this opportunity to thank the volunteers from the Speed Record
Club who stood trackside last weekend (14th/15th) whilst a 24 hour
endurance speed record attempt was run.  When I asked for assistance 14
said yes immediately (some 'lurk' on this list).  The attempt took place on
the 2 mile banked circular test track at Millbrook Proving Ground,
Bedfordshire (owned by GM).  There was some slight rain but generally the
weather was good.

The cars were the new Volvo S60 saloons with turbocharged 2.3 litre engine.
 18 existing UK National Class D records were broken and speeds will be put
forward for ratification.  Most notable record speeds, for what was a
'production' car,  were - 5 kilo flying start - 152.02 mph, 1 hour from a
standing start at 145.62 mph, 12 hours from a standing start at 138.49 mph
and 24 hours from a standing start at 135.10 mph.  One car went 3,242 miles
in total without any problems, further than the winning car at Le Mans
2000.

As well as being on the organising team for the EMAP Magazine Group (CAR
Magazine) and because of  the assistance of Speed Record Club personnel, I
got to drive a two hour stint in the car.  Two hours at about 138 mph
average in the dark from 4 to 6 am!!  When the paperwork is completed I
expect to share four records with the team of drivers - 12 hours, 2000
miles, 5000 kilometres and the 24 hours.

Further details on www.4car.co.uk

I must also thank the safety crews and the Timekeepers for their attendance
to make sure all were safe and the records official.

Millbrook - where we had the 'Johns' but the only salt was on the breakfast
table :-)

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England (Endurance speed record breaker thanks to
some good friends).