J.D. & Patrick Tone at Speed Week 2000

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: J.D. & Patrick Tone at Speed Week 2000
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 11:52:44 EDT
Group,
    I was reading the Speed Week results last night and finally realized what
JD and son Patrick really accomplished last month at Bonneville. Their 192MPH
one-way pass while backing up a 180 qualifying run in their Jimmy powered XXO
Fuel Bantam roadster was quite a feat.
    In addition to being "ever-present" the whole week in Tech, JD tuned a
pretty darned impressive group of runs over 180MPH. Wouldn't it be something
to see he and Patrick make the "Two-Club" with a Vintage Engine Fuel
Roadster, something that I don't believe has been accomplished yet?
    I remember when my cousin Bud Morrill set the Bonneville XXO/GR record at
180 about 15 years ago. It was quite a feat, a record that stands today and
was considered at the time to be faster than even a fuel Vintage Engine
roadster could make.
    When Tony Waters went over 200 at Bonneville in a DeSoto powered hiboy
roadster several decades ago it was hailed as quite a feat. My, how things do
progress. Waters ran a very impressive GMC on the left coast in his 23 "T"
drag roadster prior to upgrading to a blown DeSoto using the "Potvin-Style"
front mount for the blower that he and Bakersfield Smokers legend Ernie
Hashim fabricated in the 50's.
    BTW, Ernie Hashim is still ever-present in LSR, competing this year at
Muroc and Speed Week with his little pickup.
                        Nice going, J.D. & Patrick........Ardun Doug King