Re: Oct. Bonneville attendance

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oct. Bonneville attendance
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 13:42:03 EDT
In a message dated 09/15/2000 9:41:58 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
gwcrim@usa.com writes:

<< Is the attendance at the Finals in October anywhere near as much as
 Speedweek?  In other words, how many passes can one expect to get?

 George Crim
 Sportster List Race Team
 http://www.sportster.org/LSR

George,
    My experience with World Finals has been sort of a "good-news-bad-news".
    The good news is that there are generally less than 100 entrants as
compared to the 300+ at Speed Week. Last year we would tow up to the starting
line (one course for everybody) and Starter Bob Higbee would be standing
there with his hands on his hips as if to say "Well, let's get with the
program and get that fire suit on". The temps were cool enough that the pit
shade was never put up, hotel/motel rooms are in abundance unless there is
some other big event in town at the same time, and the air density is several
thousand feet better (lower) with the cool temps, encouraging somewhat better
speeds than at Speed Week.
    The bad news is that historically weather has often cancelled the event.
I believe that it has averaged out to running every second or third
year........Ardun Doug King