WOS/EL Mirage/ECTA

To: "Kris Wright" <kw@cimsoft.com>
Subject: WOS/EL Mirage/ECTA
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 12:21:44 -0500
Okay I'll come right out and say it on the List.... Yeah I am going to go
to the WOS and the weekend Prior I am going to try and run El Mirage....
then I am coming home and running the September Maxton Meet....

Needless to say Middle of September on is going to be UGLY... but I am
going to have fun.... and try and get a record at El Mirage and Bville...

I am finishing the Rodeck and putting it in the car.... then off to the
Dyno.. rebuilding the D motor I ran at Speedweek to take as a Back up...
Dave has given me a shopping list of Junk I need to be a Real Racer.... you
know like Compression gages that aren't Broke ( tried it and it didn't
work! ) and a Leak down Tester.... Sring tester...oh and he wants me to
have a REAL fuel system that doesn't get Heat Soaked by the Radiator....
Bypassing Regulators to keep the Fuel Flowing....   Geez these Engine
Management guys are tough.... Shoot I was just out having FUN... then I
decided to go fast TOO.... oh well... the price of fun....

No one has ever gotten a car into all four Two Clubs in one Year... that is
the stated Goal...

Keith ( Why Yes I am Brain Dead....)( Hey Joe... How's that Hat Fit?)
----------
> From: Kris Wright <kw@cimsoft.com>
> To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>
> Cc: Land-speed group <land-speed@autox.team.net>
> Subject: Re: Piston information
> Date: Tuesday, August 22, 2000 11:57 AM
>
> Keith,
> I finally got to really read this, all this techy stuff is quite
interesting,
> too.
> We're getting an MSD adjustable boost master (retard!)
> for the '33 Ply w/354 Hemi & 6-71 Blower.  Seems like we like
> our Ross pistons, too!
> Are you going to try & make WOS, also?  Our fireman friend, Jim,
> will be running a Kawi 12, should prove interesting!  His nick
> name used to be "Button" cause of the nitrous in his '55 Chev w/
> Pontiac 455 Super Duty.  Now it's Diamond Jim what with that
> costly Kaw.
> Kris Wright
>

> Keith Turk wrote:
>
> > Just a follow up on some Basic Don'ts of Nitrous Pistons...  On the
Motor
> > Tear down I found Two Major Problems... First Tom... your exactly
right... I
> > burned a Piston rather then Fracturing it.... I did in fact Fracture
several
> > other Pistons ( based on stress cracks in the Top of the piston
catching my
> > fingernail ) but the basic cause was the Piston Thickness under the
Exhaust
> > Valve pocket... Dave gave me a neat way to check them.... but after
reading
> > the Spec sheet from Ross... I already understand that we took off .060
for
> > Valve clearence and we started with .116 under the exhaust valve....
there
> > by leaving us Just a Tick Less then the .125 minimum for Nitrous...
OKAY
> > ALOT LESS.... .056?  so it's my idea at this point that we were about
> > smoke this hole in the Piston anyway due to the Lean condition of the
Motor