More Speedweek 2000

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: More Speedweek 2000
From: DrMayf@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 10:43:29 EDT
Some other items popped up in my head. Two older racers who had passed away
were given one last run down the salt. Both had been cremated. One's ashes
were to be taken into the hills later and scattered. The other had his ashes
within the drag chute and were scattered on the salt. At least this is how I
remember it. Glen gave them the final "God Speed...." One of the racers had
his MSD ignition go flaky on him. Was looking for help and stumbled into the
Al Teague camp. Asked if anyone knew anything about MSD and Teague had his
chief mechanic stop what he was doing and go help the racer. The NBIII motor
that was replaced in the Motel ^ parking lot looked to be the same as what
was removed. The teething problems next day were turbo and carb related. I'm
sure it was sorted out ok. And this was an even stronger motor, so maybe they
did good. I saw the absolute bitchinest Crosley ever built. That puppy could
win show contests and prolly has. Tried really hard to get the record for its
class, 80 something but just not quite there. But much fun anyway. Talked to
the # 77 lakster people at the gas station in Las Vegas; I think I saw it
make a 277mph run. They were in impound then. Only one ambulance run: a bike
driver lost it in the first half mile. Broke his collar bone, 3 ribs and
something else. Went to the hospital, the med flighted to Salt LAke City for
additional observations. I recognized the need to be a really smart motor
guy. In the few days I was there the density altitude bounced around from
4000 feet or so to 6000 ft. This requies that you know your engine really
well and have lots of data saying what jets are needed for both the fuel and
for any nitrous. I need to explore this more in depth. One day, the corection
factor for HP was 1.26. If I read this right this is a loss of 21% of the
horsepower! Yipes.

more later as I remember...

mayf