Rotary engines, Hmmmmm...

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Rotary engines, Hmmmmm...
From: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 17:59:49 -0400
Dick, List,

   Yup, I've been building and racing these crazy rotaries for a long time,
but this'll be the first one I've had in a Mazda chassis since I made the
swap from Mazda RX3's to Datsun's 510 chassis 16 years ago.  If I'd thought
about it I may have returned to Mazda chassis long ago.  It's a classic
round peg in a square hole doing the Mazda/Datsun swap.  The RX7 is so easy
to plop my slightly longer engines into that I'll just have to find
something else to complicate things. (Like not letting my wife know I'm
building a new car!)

   I really feel like the lone ranger sometimes running a rotary.  I can
count on the fingers of one hand all the rotary land-speed cars I've ever
heard of, and can count on one finger all rotary powered land-speed cars
that didn't use a Mazda chassis.  That makes rotaries almost as rare as
Ardun's at Maxton events.

   If I can ever get everything together for the new engine, I'll have one
car in the Production (GT) category, one in the Modified category, (GC, ALT)
and a partners  project for the Production mini pick-up class (Yup, Mazda
made a rotary Pick-up!) that can run any of my engines.

   So what do I do when I get tired of the rotaries?  I was thinking about a
V4/GT RX7.

Chuck Rothfuss
ECTA
Pole Cat Hollow, NC