and you think you have it bad

To: "Joe Timney" <joetimney@dol.net>
Subject: and you think you have it bad
From: "John Beckett" <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 20:09:35 -0400
    Well Saturday I got the "E" motor for the Chevette. Along with some help
from the delivery guy we got it installed before the day was out. Spent
Sunday hooking up everything, making up new fuel lines, and adjusting for
the changes from last year.
    I fired the monster up on Monday. Everything looked good, set timing
adjusted the floats and kept checking the oil pressure. Ten minutes into the
warm up I see the oil pressure dropping.. it hits 10 lbs. and levels off...I
hit the switch and kill the engine. What the heck????? Now what???
    OK Tuesday we'll fix it...still got time...seven days before we leave
for Speed Week...right. Got to be something simple...or something I've
overlooked...right. Make a bunch of phone calls...discuss options.
    So now it's Wednesday. Try a new gauge and line...not that...try a new
pump...no real trash in the pan...damn, not that either...check the front
gallery plugs...nope...damn again. So what's left...pull the damn engine
back out.
    Today I pulled the engine...and tear into it. Pumps good...bearings look
OK..oops...here's one not so OK??? Not bad just not right...hmmm. So anyway
#2 main and #3 rod bearing look like trash got in there. Crank looks OK.
What the..... Lets go all the way...remove heads, pop pistons out. Remove
cam...can't...hmmm...this bugger turns but won't come out. Well we found the
problem...spun #2,#3, #4 cam bearings. Still don't know why this happened??
Ran fine last year...cam went in fine after the rebuild...??? Same cam, same
block???
    Anyway I still have four days to get a new block, bore it, de-burr it,
buy new bearing and new gaskets, build a new motor, install the new motor,
break in the new motor, finish wiring the nitrous, install the belly pan,
install the nose, load the car on the trailer, load the truck, and finish
any miscellaneous stuff.
    With a whole year between events you'd think I could have gotten things
together sooner...right. Can you say procrastination...hey I've got a whole
year to get this thing done...right. It's a good thing we do all this for
fun...right.

    John B