Open letter Re: Freedom of expression.

To: nature@nature.com, Don Stecklein <dstecklein@mmcable.com>,
Subject: Open letter Re: Freedom of expression.
From: Don Kerr <dkveuro@pop.flash.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 22:46:25 -0500
http://www.nature.com/nature/author/embargo.html

  To:  Publishers of Nature, the journal for 'suppessing' information?.

Sirs...
   I have just been reading about your , to use your word, 'EMBARGO', on
papers submitted to your limited corporation, and I mean limited
loosely. My research in scientific fields and the like has been such
that it appears that there is indeed a conspiracy to suppress the 'free'
exchange of information. It would seem that you participate in this,
amongst many others,and concider yourselves a type of critique and self
appointed censor. I refer in part to a noteworthy, former biologist, Mr
Collins, who mistakenly presented a paper on the unworkability the
Darwinian theory of evolution,(Lower case 'e') which, last time I looked
was still a theory.
    It would appear that the singularly anal retentive, close minded
people, who are trying to keep themselves established in their area of
so called 'expertise', are allowed to ridicule and berate a fellow in
public and in the media, to the point of them having to leave their
chosen field, and find work, far away from the 'elite' pea brains you
concider so bright. A case in point would be the late Professor
Laithwaite and his thoughts on gravity and the use of gyroscopic
assistance. A fine man and noble thinker who was not accorded the
courtesy of an investigation into his ideas. I put it to you, that
people like you, and those formerly indicated, were maybe instrumental,
by reason of being belittled and ridiculed, in his untimely and
premature death.
    Indeed the German Richt in the '30's tried to suppress thinkers and
burned books, and so did similar regimes in the past including, it's sad
to say, some modern dictatorial powers. When a censorial attitude is
allowed to exist, then the suppression of information or the
dissemination of same, beggers the free expression of the people and
becomes the worst for it. Even the Bible was kept in Latin for
centuries, to prevent the common man from learning the truth. Thank God
for the internet, where pomposity and close minded intellectuals are not
the loudest voice on this planet.

         Yours disgustedly........DK.