Re: Flatheads and GMC's

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Flatheads and GMC's
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 21:27:07 EDT
In a message dated 06/16/2000 10:12:22 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
lona@finishlinecoatings.com writes:

<< Flat motors and GMCs. Most people could run flat motors and the really
fast people would
 run GMCs. HA HA !!
 Russ # 902 M.R.
 The garbage truck motor man

Russ,
    Don't you think that it would be more appropriate to "walk-the-walk"
before you "talk-the-talk"?
    The GMC's have an power advantage over the Flatty, that's why they split
the "X" class.
    Most of us in the XXF and XF classes are using the Flatty based engine
for sentimental and/or nostalgic reasons. True, we could probably make more
power by converting to the Jimmy. We could also make a LOT more dependable
power by going to a modern engine class. We just have an attachment for a
particular type engine, usually because it's what we ran or were impressed
with as kids and young adults.
    As you have undoubtedly discovered by now, having a GMC powered racer
isn't a "slam-dunk" into the record book. Since I've been involved in LSR my
engines have been lucky enough to temporarily hold four records, three of
them formerly held by GMC engines before XX was split into XXF and XXO.
    You have a beautiful Modified Roadster that hopefully someday will put up
some really impressive numbers. In the meantime the Flattys like Stevens and
Pappas are about a lap ahead of all of us..........Ardun Doug King