Airborne Express Delivery Alert

To: "Louise Ann Noeth" <lanspeed@west.net>
Subject: Airborne Express Delivery Alert
From: "\"LandSpeed\" Louise Ann Noeth" <lanspeed@west.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 15:29:27 -0700
NOTICE TO SHIPPERS OF VALUABLE DOCUMENTS, PHOTOS AND ELECTRONIC MEDIA.

Today I was informed by an Airborne Express District Supervisor in
Santa Barbara that any Airborne Express package delivered to a
residence will simply be dropped at the doorstep. The driver is
instructed NOT to ring the bell, knock on the door, or alert the
occupants in any way of the package delivery. This means the package
is subject to theft and damage. Photography would be particularly
vulnerable is the drop-off is in full sunlight as was the scenario in
my case.  More than 100 original transparencies were dumped at my
front door without so much as a courtesy ring of the bell. Had I not
noticed the truck pulling out from my drive, those images would be
cooking in the sun even now.

The only exception to this policy is if the airbill specifically
requires a signature for delivery.  However, you may request the
package to be shipped with "signature required" but unless the person
you are dealing with actually does the shipping, that part of the
return process may be altered, just as it was in my case today.

This notice is given in the hopes that shippers will think twice about
using Airborne Express, or at very least insist that a signature
delivery be used when shipping valuable documents, photos or
electronic media.

Speedy Regards,

"LandSpeed" Louise Ann Noeth
LandSpeed Productions