Re: Dyno noise

To: DOUG ODOM <popms@thegrid.net>, LAND-SPEED <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dyno noise
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 06:24:54 -0700 (PDT)
Doug, years ago I was chief of police in my
hometown and had to keep up an image, although I
wasn't about to give up my true love (hot cars!).
 I used some 4" flex pipe, ran it out the back of
the garage, and used two HUGE mufflers from 18
wheelers (which I got at salvage).  I burried the
mufflers in the ground, and ran the two outlets
into a common pipe that exited in a wishing well
filled with large rocks in the back yard.  I
tuned some hellacious 454" motors in that shop,
and I could hear the tappets while I worked on
them. Using mufflers that are 18" in diameter and
five feet long can't add that much back pressure.
 I'm not sure how much power loss I realized
through that system, but it couldn't have been
much.  The noise outside wasn't much worse than
when my wife's Buick idled in the driveway -
well, a little more, but no worse than a riding
mower. It truly was quieter than my neighbors air
conditioner. There are any number of similar
shade tree systems you could design that would
quiet down the noise and not hurt the power.

Dick J

--- DOUG ODOM <popms@thegrid.net> wrote:
> List, I have a chance to get a engine dyno for
> my shop. I live kind of
> in the country but not far away from neighbors.
> 1 & 1/2 acre lots. Does
> anyone have any real life experience on keeping
> the noise level down? If
> so I would like to talk to you at Muroc or E
> mail. I know Bob Joencks
> runs his dyno in downtown Santa Barbara and
> gets away with it.
>               Doug Odom in quiet big ditch

=====
......(In East Texas)........