Re: hot rod

To: John Beckett <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>,
Subject: Re: hot rod
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 06:45:26 -0700 (PDT)
--- John Beckett <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
wrote:.............................................................Maybe
Hot Rod can finally get back to its roots.

> John Beckett, LSR #79

It would be nice, 'cause after all, truth be
told, to some extent, that magazine probably
helped every one of us get our start in this
sport - - especially the - - -  ahh, more mature
among us.  I've preached several times about how
that famous issue with the Pierson Brothers Coupe
was the bug that caught me.  I still remember the
issue to this day.  I was on a school field trip
when we stopped for snacks and "rest stop".  All
of the guys immediately flocked to the magazine
counter and numerous issues of Playboy were
bought up in  a matter of seconds.  Being a
devout, pre-teen Catholic boy, I couldn't bring
myself to get a copy of Playboy, knowing how it
would hurt my mother if she ever found out
(although I did lean forward to look over Jeffery
Hall's shoulder a couple of times to check it
out). So as not to look like a complete Dork, I
snatched up the "Pierson Brothers" issue of Hot
Rod, figuring that possession of such a magazine
would lend some "maturity" to my tender years.
And that was it, I was hooked forever! Since
then, I think I have read every issue (except for
the year of 1970 which I spent on a beautiful all
expense paid vacation).  Some years were not so
great, but others were memorable.  The format and
coverage seems to be changing a lot this year.
Much more do-it-yourself and budget project
coverage.  I'm looking forward to the Maxton
article, and next year's Bonneville coverage.

=====
......(In East Texas)........
.Hemis and Flatheads Forever.