D Motor Autopsy

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: D Motor Autopsy
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 07:46:32 -0500
Okay I finally got the Motor we killed at Bville apart... I am a big fan of
Leaving stuff together until your ready to Fix it... and Waiting on the Head
to be repaired the Short block just sat in the back of the shop and looking
Lonely.

Cast Iron Head came back from Indy Cylinder heads two weeks ago so I had no
more excuses....

Bottom line... it cracked the #7cylinder where it dropped the valve..(sleeve
will fix it ) and I found what actually caused the failure to begin with
!!!!!

On a Belt Drive Camshaft the Bolt going into the front of the cam that
attaches the outter pulley is a Left hand thread so when the Rpm's start it
automatically tightens... Makes sense to me.....  when I put the Chevrolet
Head Bolt in this threaded hole and it spun right in.... I decided that
Chevrolet Must use Left hand threaded Head Bolts....( Hmmmm NOT!!!)  Also
noticed there was a Major Lack of Lock tight.... Hmmm  This bolt was Missing
when we got back to the pits.... and the question was Why..... So Now we
know.... Ain't running Junk Grand....

Keith