Oiling answers

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oiling answers
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 06:28:14 -0500
    Okay I thought I would share some of the answers to the Oiling System
Problems I had last weekend.

Light weight oil Whips up easier then Thicker Oil.  My thought was that it
would get back to the pan faster and provide HP.... and I think it would if
you aren't whipping it up.

Cavitation of the pump can occur due to many things... Oil aeriation due to
whipping the Crankshaft through Oil...( to much Oil ) or if the Pan and
Pickup don't have adequate clearence.  Solid Baffles arn't as good as Wire
mesh Baffles in the pan and can add to Oil getting whipped up.

A Crank scrapper might help also....

and Most importantly Proper Breathing of the Crank case... If you can
imagine the bottom of this engine at Rpm there is a Mini tornado caused from
the Crank and Rods spinning around... the Rings are allowing some blow by as
are the valve guides.  All this Pressure is building up and not giving the
oil much of a chance to expell it's air.  Hence the Oil contains it's air
and the Oil Pumps it out at a decreased Pressure.

Okay so Now to fix the Problem... I am going to swap back to a Pan, Pump and
Pick up that I know work in this Car.  and as I am doing this I am going to
take some measurements and Make sure I had 1/4 to 3/8" clearence between the
pan and pickup originally... Just to see if that was one of the problems.

Guys Like John Beckett Run a Wet sump system successfully so I know it can
be done...  everything just has to be right!

Keith