Cooling, a chilling subject...

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Cooling, a chilling subject...
From: "Lawrence E. & Cathy R. Mayfield" <lemay@hiwaay.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 01:50:42
Well, I now have my radiator and water pump. BeCool dual tube prostock
radiator and Meziere pump. As ya'll know Fords have the thermostat bypass
hose which flows water around the thermostat and back into the suck side of
the water pump. As I understand it, about 30% of the water always bypasses
the radiator this way.

Well here is what I am gonna do and your comments are welcome. I am going
to plumb that bypass line, approximately 1/2 inch hose, to a 10 gallon
water tank in the passenger seat area. The outflow from the tank will be
split into two streams, one to each of the turbos. The outlet from the
turbos will be recombined and plumbed into the suck side of the water pump.
The Meziere pump has both right and left water inlets already drilled and
tapped, so all that I will need to do is tap the plug for an AN fitting,
prolly -8. This should give me water around the themostat, cooling for the
turbos and return back to the engine.  Somewhere around 70% of the water
will go through the radiator. I have only to weld a bung on the water tank
and seal the filler cap with an air bleed built into it. I also need to get
a couple of small pie fans to keep the rad cooler, since all air is blocked
off.

I think that with aluminum heads, 10 gallons of extra supply and the two
row prostock radiator, I should be ok.

Whadda ya'll think? Oh, this is a small block 302 ford (well actually 306.1
- drat it).

mayf

L.E. Mayfield
124 Maximillion Drive
Madison, Al. 35758-8171
ph: 1-256-837-1051

http://home.hiwaay.net/~lemayf

lemay@hiwaay.net

Sunbeam Tiger, B9471136
Sunbeam Alpine Bonneville Land Speed Racer,
'66 Hydroplane Drag Boat (390 FE)