The Gage Deal

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: The Gage Deal
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 21:10:21 -0600
    Well we all seem to have different opinions as to whats nessesary so I
might as well jump into the fray.

Gages serve two purposes.... to inform  and to warn

example... Oil Pressure tells me when the motor is warmed up as well as when
it's two quarts low.... also if I could get a motor to last long enough it
could tell me a bit about Bearing wear over time.... ( use your imagination
and find what RPM the Max oil pressure occurs and wear will make it occur
later in some cars)

So a warning Light displaces the need for a gage in some instances... like
on the course ... I use a warning light to tell me to stop.... but in the
pits I use the gage.
it is hooked to both my Oil Pressure and my Water Temp.... I picked a real
high Oil Pressure switch...( 50 PSI ) cause at RPM all the motors I have run
are over that.

As for the other Junk.... I like a Shift light to tell me when to shift and
a tach when I am scooting down the track....

I can't afford a Fancy computer set up so I went with the Best Tach I could
find and it has Complete down load ability to a Printer which allows me to
graph my runs.... Very interesting information is avalible from Time of the
run to wheel slippage....

Also since I don't have a Race Pac on board I installed a dual EGT gage
which allows us to tell about how Lean or rich we are on the big end.... and
stores Max temps of two cylinders.  Great tuning device.... Personally I
would rather have the race pac computer that is avalible with the EFI... and
a couple of idiot lights... on course not much of this matters...

All of the gages and lights are wired through a central console 6 pack of
circuit breakers I bought at AutoZone

Keith ( why I think we have electricity  State )