Tachs one more time

To: "Land-speed Racers" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tachs one more time
From: "Marge and/or Dave Thomssen" <mdthom@radiks.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 20:10:13 -0600
Group

I think the use of a tach to hit the shift points is overrated.  We ran the
Goldenrod streamliner one year in high gear only (after a gearbox
malfunction) and it made no difference in 5 miles- 181.5 mph on gas with an
unblown flathead. It chugged for a mile and a half and hit the quarter time
very close to the speed we had with a 4-speed.

In my old age I have gone to a shift light so I don't have to use my
bifocals to see and mount the light way out on the hood scoop.  This is also
a good way for the rookie driver to set his speed.

Dave in Lincoln
Ask me what my state motto is.
#322 XXFBFMR