Re: Ground Clearance and Other stuff.

To: "Lawrence E. & Cathy R. Mayfield" <lemay@hiwaay.net>,
Subject: Re: Ground Clearance and Other stuff.
From: "Jim Dincau" <jdincau@qnet.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 09:54:26 -0800
----- Original Message -----
From: Lawrence E. & Cathy R. Mayfield <lemay@hiwaay.net>
Subject: Ground Clearance and Other stuff.

big snip

> Now a down side to pans. If you get close to the surface with a smooth
pan,
> then any upset which lifts the front of the car to let a little, and I
mean
> little, air under the car, you may get airborne and do a blow over. at
> worst, you will lift enough to loose traction and spin, wildly...could
> replace sex as a high..

I can confirm this, we tried ground effects to replace all the lead we
normally run in the roadster and had a big spin right at the two mile. There
was a wet patch just before the lights and the car yawed just a little, this
caused the airflow through the tunnel to go turbulent and presto no ground
effects. Jerry said it went arround so fast he thought he was in the teacup
ride at disnyland. After talking to the aero guys at work we decided lead
gave us traction with no drag penalty while both wings and tunnels add to
the drag.

Jim in Palmdale
#700 C/BFMR
SDRC-SCTA-BNI