Re: Rack * Pinion Steering

To: lsr_man@yahoo.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rack * Pinion Steering
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 12:12:24 EST
In a message dated 01/04/2000 9:03:56 AM Pacific Standard Time,
lsr_man@yahoo.com writes:

<<
 I'm trying to figure out what will work to steer
 my roadster.  I would like to use rack and
 pinion, but I need a unit that bolts behind the
 beam axle instead of in front.  I think the
 ever-popular Mustang unit bolts in front.
 Anybody got any ideas on what kind of
 non-power-steering unit I might find in a
 bone-yard that will fit behind the axle?

 =====
 Dick J
 in east Texas
 ECTA #72  FX/GMR
 T >>
Dick,
    The S&P dragster-type rack & pinion units are readily available. I tried
one in my old lakester and found it to be too sensitive above 150. I
incorporated a Vega steering in the modified roadster and found it to be very
satisfactory at speeds around 200.
                                Ardun Doug in CA