Re: hello

To: dahlgren@uconect.net, Land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: hello
From: dferguso@ebmail.gdeb.com
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 08:59:43 -0400
hi dave! -  actually we rallied the other kids in class to donate their
spent potato batteries, mashed em up, cooked em, distilled em , and made
some alky. i personally would not find it very satisfying to purposely
choose a dinky sewing machine engine or lawnmower engine and try to make it
go as fast as i could when i could have picked a big v-8 or similar and
gone alot faster. you guys quote these 200 + mph runs on model airplane
engines, great job, but when i step back and look at it i think you made a
bad choice in engines and are shooting yourselves in the foot. had you guys
built these same streamliners, etc. with the same knowledge, budget, and
effort utilizing- say a 351 clevland or 427 / 429 ford in lieu of 4 cyl
PINTO engine you could have gone alot faster and it would show - at least
to me- alot more talent in race car design ,engineering and driver finesse.
is this the only motorsport where you conciously build a car to go slower
than you are capable of and then race it at the worlds fastest track- to
me, that is not my spirit of hotrodding / racing. why do some purposlely
handicap themselves with these engines, or even better yet bobweight cranks
with slugs of dead rotating mass (brilliant ! ) on a 9 to 11-ish mile
course i guess i will never understand , but hey different strokes for
different folks, literally - i guess.  in my opinion , some people are in
land speed to prove a somewhat trivial point of how fast they can go with a
blender  , and some are in land speed just to see how fast they can go - a
distinct difference .  but i guess if you can get a good bang for your buck
on a pinto engine or setting a small displacement record and that makes you
happy then good for you - have fun !!!!!!

well i guess you guys can conclude that you wont ever be seeing us
ropestarting a vehicle at the bonneville salt flats- regards
doug @ black radon engineering