V12 Gas/Diesel Tank Engines

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: V12 Gas/Diesel Tank Engines
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 17:00:14 -0400 (EDT)
In the fall of '62 I found myself at the US Army Armor School at Ft.
Knox, KY for training on the M-48 and M-60 tanks.  The 48 was
obsolescent and the 60 was the main battle tank then.  The 48 had the
air-cooled gas engine and the 60 the air-cooled diesel.  In training we
were told the 60 engine was related to the 48, but probably they shared
little besides the number of cylinders and air-cooling, since a diesel
must be made much stronger and heavier to stand the stress of the
super-high compression.

Both were fun to drive, the 60 a little smoother and stronger(and
newer).  The bad thing about the diesel was that if you sat in place
with the engine running, like on a firing range, if the diesel fumes got
down into the hull they would make everybody sick.  I can't imagine
where the scrap yards are that contain these engines, but if you put one
in a car, go with the gas job!  ArdunBill