Re: Spins

To: bbutters@dmi.net, kturk@ala.net, land-speed@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Spins
From: V4GR@aol.com
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 19:35:14 EDT
I have never spun, but I came close one time in my 32 which was a pretty slow
car.    As I was motoring down the El Mirage course I noticed I was getting
closer to the left side line. I steered right but the car still kept getting
closer to the left side line. I continued to apply pressure toward the right.
All I wanted was to make it to the finish line. As I kept moving left I
realized I was going to run over the lights. They had made it clear that this
was a bad thing. So I lifted all at once, the car jerked around to the right
and than straightened out and went through the lights at 119. You don't need
to be fast to be dumb.

                Harry Hoffman and Charlie Markley were watching the run and
commented that they did not think I would save it. I neglected to mention
that it was divine intervention and not me that straightened the car.
                                                The point here is, If the car
is not going where you are steering it, lift slowly. If you can do this when
you can see the finish line you are a better man than I.      Rich Fox