Rules Question - Crotch Strap.

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Rules Question - Crotch Strap.
From: "Lawrence E. Mayfield" <mayfield@traveller.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 16:11:50
In the SCTA rule book regarding recommended seat belt mountings, see
figures 6,7,and 8 of III-4.1, the crotch strap is required to be parallel
with the body line. In the NHRA rule book, crotch straps are to be mounted
behind the chest line. Both methods are to prevent the driver from
submarining during a frontal crash.

My question is this: Which is the best method? Since my car will be a dual
purpose car, occasionally running drag events, I need to be compliant with
both systems. My thoughts are that the NHRA method is superior since it
puts less load on the strap during a wreck than the SCTA method.

Any thoughts as to what I should do?

mayf

L.E. Mayfield
124 Maximillion Drive
Madison, Al. 35758-8171
1-256-837-1051

http://www.hsv.tis.net/~mayfield

DrMayf@AOL.com
mayfield@traveller.com <<<<preferred

Bonneville Land Speed Racer, '66 Hydroplane Drag Boat (390 FE)