RE: Time to cool it!

To: "'Thomas E. Bryant'" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>,
Subject: RE: Time to cool it!
From: "Ferguson, Darrell" <dfergus@bactc.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 22:22:02 -0700
I agree with Thomas, our intent was not in any way try to force anyone to
change a car that has raced for many years. While there are very few early
Studebakers still setting records in the altered class, I personally don't
have a big problem allowing a REASONABLE modification to an older vehicle in
order to make it stable at high speed, and competitive against newer body
styles. We have chosen to run a 68 Firebird body in the altered class, and
as the builder of a new car, it is my own fault for choosing a vehicle that
is aerodynamically inferior to say an 88 Firebird. Our intent is to see
where the rules lie. Again, I think I can speak for everyone here that one
of the unique things about Bonneville is the leniency of the rules, and
diversity of body styles, this is why my brother and I chose to race here.
This inherently makes the rules harder to enforce than NASCAR where there
are only 3 or 4 body styles. We are merely trying to interpret the rules
properly so that they are fair to everyone, and a modification that I and
others interpret as legal, is not interpreted as illegal by a biased
inspector. We just want to build the best car that we possibly can without
scrapping our original body choice, for a newer, more aerodynamic vehicle.

Darrell Ferguson
BLACK RADON ENGINEERING