[Fwd: Re: Oiling Systems]

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fwd: Re: Oiling Systems]
From: Ed Van Scoy <edvs@idt.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 14:59:37 -0400

--------------EB51FF3466E

Keith: (and others)
Per your request, here is my reply to Dave. I will forward his diagnosis
as well. Sorry to hear you are having the same symptoms, it's
frustrating.
Ed

--------------EB51FF3466E

Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 13:15:32 -0400
From: Ed Van Scoy <edvs@idt.net>
To: Dave Dahlgren <dahlgren@uconect.net>
Subject: Re: Oiling Systems
<37173F95.2F7A@idt.net> <37177084.907C0E34@uconect.net>

Dave,
Oil temp:
I pre-heat the oil to 140 deg. then run the engine to operating temps in
the pits. Change plugs, then drag it out to the start line. As you know
the wait can be long. When I get close to "on deck" I run the motor to
at least 175 deg water temp (the elect fan kicks in then) and then shut
it off. On the start line I will run the engine at least a minute before
starting the run. I am generally pretty easy on the motor for the first
mile before laying into it. I do run Mobile 1 synthetic. I am taking oil
pressure readings from the stock location on the block. Where do you
suggest putting the sending unit? Oil pressure is well within the old
10lb/1000 rpm guage. Have tried several diff. oil pumps. The last one
giving up some pressure to volume.
Power:
It pulled just over 730 hp on the dyno (last time), all readings normal.
8500 redline, but usually runs 7600 rpms on the salt. After about 30 sec
of full-throttle down the course, oil pressure begins to fall. Cannot
simulate this on dyno, it just sits there and screams its lungs out with
no problems.
Clearences:
Don't have my "book" handy but it seems
Rod bearing    .002
main           .00250
skirt          .0015

Bearing failues (oil starved) have all been at the front of the crank.
At last Speedweek, halfway thru the 4th mile I noticed the pressure
falling and killed it while it still showed 50 lbs. Aparrently the
damage was done as I tried to re-start while waiting for my crew and the
engine was seized.
I am in the process of converting to a dry sump, hoping this will solve
the problem. Would have done this earlier, but it never ran oil-starved
on the dyno. If you see anything else here that raises a red flag, let
me know.
Thanks for the input,
ED

--------------EB51FF3466E--