[Healeys] Crankshaft needed/need fulfilled

To: Austin Healey <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Crankshaft needed/need fulfilled
From: Michael Oritt <michael.oritt@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 12:02:09 -0400

--00000000000072adc306167536b4

I am currently having a good amount of work done on my 100 at "Proper
Noise", a restoration shop just outside Reading, PA.  Among other things, I
requested that the engine be torn down as it had been about 90,000 miles
since it was overhauled in 2003.

Beyond the usual "wear items" I expected to replace, magnafluxing of the
(original) crankshaft revealed that it was cracked.  While not surprising
his  was nevertheless disappointing as I feared I would not be able to find
a good stock crank in a timely fashion and that I might have to buy a DW
billet crank, which apparently also involves buying forged rods that are
either required or strongly recommended to go along with it.

Back in 2003 I installed a DW "fast road" camshaft along with an AL
cylinder head and tubular headers, but since I observe a 5500 rpm redline
and do not race the car I felt I was going to be spending big bucks for
competition-level parts on a street car that is perhaps, "semi-vigorously
driven" at most.

I put out a message on this list as well as on the 100 and BCF forums
asking if anyone had a good crank and I got several responses from folks
who had cranks that had not been crack-tested but I found no likely
candidates "this side of the pond".  I was naturally skeptical of any
untested cranks--after all, unless someone were building up a race engine
why would someone replace a 100 crankshaft except that it was cracked?

Then I received a message from Michael Salter--a known and trusted source
with whom I have previously done business--saying that he had two cranks on
hand which had been crack-tested.  This was great news and we made
arrangements to have them retested, which turned out well, and I am happy
to say that less than three weeks after learning my old crank was cracked I
was able to purchase a suitable replacement for a reasonable amount.  As
far as I know Michael still has the second crank so if anyone is in need I
suggest you reach out to him at: michael.salter@gmail.com.

BTW I am installing an AH Spares damper on the crank--perhaps not required
but, I think, money well spent.

Best--Michael Oritt

--00000000000072adc306167536b4

currently having a good amount of work done on my 100 at &quot;Proper Noise=
&quot;, a restoration shop just outside Reading,=C2=A0PA.=C2=A0 Among other=
 things, I requested that the engine be torn down as it had been about 90,0=
00 miles since it was overhauled in 2003.=C2=A0=C2=A0</div><div class=3D"gm=
ail_default" style=3D"color:#3333ff"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default"=
 style=3D"color:#3333ff">Beyond the usual &quot;wear items&quot; I expected=
 to replace, magnafluxing of the (original) crankshaft revealed that it was=
 cracked.=C2=A0 While not surprising his=C2=A0 was nevertheless disappointi=
ng=C2=A0as I feared I would not be able to find a good stock crank in a tim=
ely fashion and that I might have to buy a DW billet crank, which apparentl=
y also involves buying forged rods that are either required or strongly rec=
ommended to go along with it.=C2=A0=C2=A0</div><div class=3D"gmail_default"=
 style=3D"color:#3333ff"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"co=
lor:#3333ff">Back in 2003 I installed a DW &quot;fast road&quot; camshaft a=
long with an AL cylinder head and tubular=C2=A0headers, but since I observe=
 a 5500 rpm redline and do not race the car I felt I was going to be spendi=
ng big bucks for competition-level parts on a street car that is perhaps, &=
quot;semi-vigorously driven&quot; at most.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default=
" style=3D"color:#3333ff"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"c=
olor:#3333ff">I put out a message on this list as well as on the 100 and BC=
F forums asking if anyone had a good crank and I got several responses from=
 folks who had cranks that had not been crack-tested but I found no likely =
candidates &quot;this side of the pond&quot;.=C2=A0 I was naturally skeptic=
al of any untested cranks--after all, unless someone were building up a rac=
e engine why would someone replace a 100 crankshaft except=C2=A0that it=C2=
=A0was cracked?</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"color:#3333ff"><=
br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"color:#3333ff">Then I receiv=
ed a message=C2=A0from Michael Salter--a known and trusted source with whom=
 I have previously done business--saying that he had two cranks on hand whi=
ch had been crack-tested.=C2=A0 This was great news and we made arrangement=
s to have them retested, which turned out well, and I am happy to say that =
less than=C2=A0three weeks after learning my old crank was cracked I was=C2=
=A0able to purchase a suitable replacement for=C2=A0a=C2=A0reasonable=C2=A0=
amount.=C2=A0 As far as I know Michael still has the second crank so if any=
one is in need I suggest you reach out to him at: <a href=3D"mailto:michael=
.salter@gmail.com">michael.salter@gmail.com</a>.</div><div class=3D"gmail_d=
efault" style=3D"color:#3333ff"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" styl=
e=3D"color:#3333ff">BTW I am installing an AH Spares damper on the crank--p=
erhaps not required but, I think, money well spent.=C2=A0</div><div class=
=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"color:#3333ff"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_de=
fault" style=3D"color:#3333ff">Best--Michael Oritt</div></div>

--00000000000072adc306167536b4--

--===============1030543907203890519==