Re: [Healeys] BN2 rear axle

To: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BN2 rear axle
From: mike brooks via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 22:55:36 +0000 (UTC)

------=_Part_653734_985989564.1711320936609

Thanks for all the responses.=C2=A0 This weekend I rebuilt both sides with =
a new gasket over a=C2=A0 continous circular bead of Permatex Ultra Black (=
also round each stud). I did them one at a time with 24 hours between them,=
 leaning the side I was working on up on a jack so that it was clear of axl=
e oil. The joints were tightened up with the drum and spline adaptor on, an=
d the 5 nuts torqued up. The first side sealed fine - the other I will know=
 about tomorrow.
I can see the design problem. The bearing and spacer need to protude slight=
ly further out than the hub face plus the paper gasket, to ensure the beari=
ng doesn't turn. But if the protrusion is even slightly too much, the joint=
 will leak. Hopefully the Permatex will do the trick.
I note that the gasket supplied by the parts company today is jut a bit thi=
cker than the ones I got 12 years ago.

Mike
Yahoo Mail: Search, organise, conquer
------=_Part_653734_985989564.1711320936609

Thanks for all the responses.&nbsp; This weekend I rebuilt both sides with =
a new gasket over a&nbsp; continous circular bead of Permatex Ultra Black (=
also round each stud). I did them one at a time with 24 hours between them,=
 leaning the side I was working on up on a jack so that it was clear of axl=
e oil. The joints were tightened up with the drum and spline adaptor on, an=
d the 5 nuts torqued up. The first side sealed fine - the other I will know=
ng and spacer need to protude slightly further out than the hub face plus t=
he paper gasket, to ensure the bearing doesn't turn. But if the protrusion =
is even slightly too much, the joint will leak. Hopefully the Permatex will=
the parts company today is jut a bit thicker than the ones I got 12 years a=
_signature"><a id=3D"ymail_android_signature_link" href=3D"https://mail.one=
link.me/107872968?pid=3DNativePlacement&amp;c=3DGlobal_Acquisition_YMktg_31=
5_EmailSignatureGrowth_YahooMail:Search,Organize,Conquer&amp;af_sub1=3DAcqu=
isition&amp;af_sub2=3DGlobal_YMktg&amp;af_sub3=3D&amp;af_sub4=3D100000945&a=
mp;af_sub5=3DOrganizeConquer__Static_">Yahoo Mail: Search, organise, conque=
------=_Part_653734_985989564.1711320936609--

--===============4563026035792453754==