Re: [Healeys] Spark plug gap

To: alfuller194@gmail.com, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Spark plug gap
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 17:25:22 -0700
References: <000001d97dec$3ebe6800$bc3b3800$@alexarevel.plus.com> <1683143739797.3398822.a14248bfe188de5976f98f018d4aa49836355f5e@spica.telekom.de> <000e01d97e0b$948451e0$bd8cf5a0$@alexarevel.plus.com> <1683180374184.3438755.d7091099a99773540ea52bfc82f6e724c4dc2437@spica.telekom.de> <000001d97e75$8e7c6250$ab7526f0$@alexarevel.plus.com> <1683200618943.30241.4931512a23c5af4193aff3855654c40b0b67018f@spica.telekom.de> <8f76a9de-2327-ad10-9390-432fc269047b@comcast.net> <013d01d97fa6$286f9400$794ebc00$@gmail.com>

--------------LPvK0iszOOUaXco0pGsWJSZJ

re: "... all this fiddling with the spark plug gap to account for the
engineâ??s particulars must be a foolâ??s errand, and cannot possibly work!! "

It works if your car runs smoothly. If you run a little toward the lean
side--which Healeys don't like--a performance coil and a little more gap
may help give a little smoother running engine. Running very rich, to
the point you get black soot out of the exhaust is not advisable for a
number of reasons. So, set your mixture as you like and set your gap at
book 'spec,' or a little larger if you like. A carburetted engine isn't
likely to run at stoichiometric, except possibly under specific
conditions and, probably, purely accidentally. Running very lean
increases NOx emissions--why some engines have EGR valves (boo
hiss)--and running rich will kill a catalytic converter before someone
even gets a chance to steal it.

Piston aircraft with well-designed fuel injection systems--typically
Continentals--tuned injectors and multi-cylinder CHT/EGT meters can run
'lean of peak' for economy/endurance. Running at peak, i.e.
stoichiometric, is inadvisable because it produces the hottest
combustion temperatures and will cook these glorified lawnmower engines.

Richard M. probably has dyno numbers that show the effect of mixture vs.
plug gap.

bs

On 5/5/2023 4:05 PM, alfuller194@gmail.com wrote:

> Bob â?? Iâ??m afraid you have me confusedâ?¦
>
> You indicated â??â?¦theoretically, as long as the spark is hot enough to
> jump the gap it will ignite a proper mixture. A very lean mixture is
> harder to ignite, and a very rich mixture could 'drown' the spark
> ('stratified charge' engines use a richer mixture to ignite a leaner
> mixture). A hotter spark may more reliably ignite a non-ideal mixture,
> and may help a bit to ignite a proper one (higher compression engines
> require a hotter spark)â?¦.â??
>
> BUT Josef tells us that â?? â?¦Some people try to adjust the fuel mixture
> with a CO-tester. You can do that, but it doesn´t give best results
> for road use, especially in hotter climates and high above sea level. â?¦â??
>
> SO â?? If one can use an instrument and get a perfectly stoichiometric
> air/fuel ratio and it doesnâ??t give best results [Worse at altitude or
> in the summer driving season!] â?? then surely all this fiddling with
> the spark plug gap to account for the engineâ??s particulars must be a
> foolâ??s errand, and cannot possibly work!!
>
> P.S.: And whatever you â?? do NOT adjust the timing to try to make the
> car run its best.
>
> ----------------
>
> All the best,
>
> Al Fuller

  <head>
  </head>
    re: "... <span
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">all
      this fiddling with the spark plug gap to account for the engineâ??s
      particulars must be a foolâ??s errand, and cannot possibly work!! "<br>
      It works if your car runs smoothly. If you run a little toward the
      lean side--which Healeys don't like--a performance coil and a
      little more gap may help give a little smoother running engine.
      Running very rich, to the point you get black soot out of the
      exhaust is not advisable for a number of reasons. So, set your
      mixture as you like and set your gap at book 'spec,' or a little
      larger if you like. A carburetted engine isn't likely to run at
      stoichiometric, except possibly under specific conditions and,
      probably, purely accidentally. Running very lean increases NOx
      emissions--why some engines have EGR valves (boo hiss)--and
      running rich will kill a catalytic converter before someone even
      gets a chance to steal it.<br>
      Piston aircraft with well-designed fuel injection
      systems--typically Continentals--tuned injectors and
      multi-cylinder CHT/EGT meters can run 'lean of peak' for
      economy/endurance. Running at peak, i.e. stoichiometric, is
      inadvisable because it produces the hottest combustion
      temperatures and will cook these glorified lawnmower engines.<br>
      Richard M. probably has dyno numbers that show the effect of
      mixture vs. plug gap.<br>
      bs<br>
      <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:alfuller194@gmail.com";>alfuller194@gmail.com</a> wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:013d01d97fa6$286f9400$794ebc00$@gmail.com">
        medium)">
        {font-family:"Cambria Math";
        panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}@font-face
        {font-family:Calibri;
        panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}@font-face
        {font-family:Consolas;
        panose-1:2 11 6 9 2 2 4 3 2 4;}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
        {margin:0in;
        font-size:11.0pt;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        color:blue;
        text-decoration:underline;}pre
        {mso-style-priority:99;
        mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted Char";
        margin:0in;
        font-size:10.0pt;
        font-family:"Courier New";}span.HTMLPreformattedChar
        {mso-style-name:"HTML Preformatted Char";
        mso-style-priority:99;
        mso-style-link:"HTML Preformatted";
        font-family:Consolas;}span.EmailStyle22
        {mso-style-type:personal-reply;
        font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
        color:windowtext;}.MsoChpDefault
        {mso-style-type:export-only;
        font-size:10.0pt;}div.WordSection1
        {page:WordSection1;}</style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
confusedâ?¦<o:p></o:p></p>
          the spark is hot enough to jump the gap it will ignite a
          proper mixture. A very lean mixture is harder to ignite, and a
          very rich mixture could 'drown' the spark ('stratified charge'
          engines use a richer mixture to ignite a leaner mixture). A
          hotter spark may more reliably ignite a non-ideal mixture, and
          may help a bit to ignite a proper one (higher compression
          engines require a hotter spark)â?¦.â??  <o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">
            Some people try to adjust the fuel mixture with a CO-tester.
            You can do that, but it doesn´t give best results for road
            use, especially in hotter climates and high above sea level.
            â?¦â??<o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">SO
            â?? If one can use an instrument and get a perfectly
            stoichiometric air/fuel ratio and it doesnâ??t give best
            results [Worse at altitude or in the summer driving season!]
            â?? then surely all this fiddling with the spark plug gap to
            account for the engineâ??s particulars must be a foolâ??s
            errand, and cannot possibly work!! <o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black"><o:p> </o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">P.S.:
            And whatever you â?? do NOT adjust the timing to try to make
            the car run its best.</span><o:p></o:p></p>
            1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in 0in 0in">
              <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:healeys-bounces@autox.team.net";>&lt;healeys-bounces@autox.team.net&gt;</a>
 <b>On Behalf Of </b>Bob
              Spidell<br>
              <b>To:</b> <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";>healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
              <b>Subject:</b> Re: [Healeys] Spark plug gap<o:p></o:p></p>
          here (as is my wont). I'm not an EE--my electrical knowledge
          is self-taught--so if I'm incorrect feel free to correct.<br>
[...]
          Which is why ...<br>
[...]
          claimed he saw a <i>slight</i> mileage increase using E3
          'DiamondFire' plugs, so there may be something to the plug
          voodoo. Fun fact: All the iridium on planet Earth came from a
          single asteroid, and is found in a layer of said earth
          deposited around the same time the dinosaurs went kaput.
          Coincidence? I think not.<br>
          Anybody who's worked on 'modern' cars, say, newer than 2000MY
          or so, has noted 'Coil On Plug' ('COP') technology, where each
          plug get its own coil. Now, the coils on these are small,
          about the size of an old 35mm film canister--remember
          those?--and you might say to yourself 'Self, how do they stuff
          all that wiring into that little film canister' and the answer
          is, the wires gotta be real tiny and, yep, as you might expect
          they are fragile compared to our Bud Light can-sized (sorry)
          old school Lucas coils. Early COP systems--looking at you,
          VW--were prone to gremlins and I still hear about COP failures
          on newer cars and other makes, esp. with DOHC engines which
          always, eventually, seem to get leaky valve cover gaskets
          which dump oil into the plug tubes (as opposed to leaky Healey
          valve cover gaskets which just dump oil, well, everywhere).<br>
          OK, caffeine rush is fading. Ciao.<br>
          Bob<br>
          * Note coils for our Healeys come with either 'SW' ('switch;'
          i.e. ignition switch)  and 'CB' ('contact breaker;' i.e.
          points/distributor)  or '+' and '-' labels on the primary
          terminals. They'll work either way, but some voodoo is
          employed whereby, when properly connected the secondary field
          is routed in series with the primary circuit to give a slight
          boost to produced spark.<br>
          <o:p></o:p></p>
            Healeys wrote:<o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">Sorry,
              I am out here. This guy wants to play till the engine is
              shot.</span><o:p></o:p></p>
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black"> </span><o:p></o:p></p>
gap<o:p></o:p></p>
              href="mailto:simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com";
              moz-do-not-send="true">"simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com"</a>

moz-do-not-send="true">&lt;simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com&gt;</a><o:p></o:p></p>
              href="mailto:josef-eckert@t-online.de";
              moz-do-not-send="true">"josef-eckert@t-online.de"</a> <a
              href="mailto:josef-eckert@t-online.de";

moz-do-not-send="true">&lt;josef-eckert@t-online.de&gt;</a><o:p></o:p></p>
                style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">Thanks
                  for that. Iâ??ll certainly bear it in mind. Likewise,
                  Iâ??ll keep a close eye on my engineâ??s temperature. The
                  latter is quite well protected with a modern rad, all
                  the correct baffles, 5 blade fan plus electronic fan.
                  But, as I said, Iâ??ll keep an eye on
it.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
                style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">Someone
                  mentioned that he used â??Iridiumâ?? plugs from NGK. I
                  googled themâ?¦.horribly expensive. Can they be worth it
                  in our old cars?<o:p></o:p></span></p>
                style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">Simon<o:p></o:p></span></p>
                style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black"> <o:p></o:p></span></p>
                  1.0pt;padding:3.0pt 0in 0in 0in">

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><strong><span
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">From:</span></strong><span
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">
                        moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">josef-eckert@t-online.de</a>

moz-do-not-send="true">&lt;josef-eckert@t-online.de&gt;</a>
                      <strong><span

style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">Sent:</span></strong>
                      04 May 2023 07:06<br>
                      <strong><span

style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">To:</span></strong>
                        moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com</a>;
                      Healey, Forum <a
                        href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";

moz-do-not-send="true">&lt;healeys@autox.team.net&gt;</a><br>
                      <strong><span

style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">Subject:</span></strong>
                      AW: [Healeys] Spark plug gap<o:p></o:p></span></p>
                style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black"> <o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">For
                  me, i prefer Champion plugs plugs to NGK, but that´s a
                  matter of taste. I think both, Champion and NGK, are
                  of similar quality. Matter of taste, as I wrote. But
                  NOT the car manufacturer determines the plug gap, its
                  the plug manufacturer. Definitely the car manufacturer
                  takes this for his specs in the workshop manual.</span><span
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black"><o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">There
                  is to much hype about plugs anyway. I am working as a
                  professional, Elecrtonics and Elecrtrcian engineer, at
                  a big classic car parts supplier here in Europe and I
                  never go away from the given plug gap as set by the
                  plug manufacturer. Austin-Healey engines  are not high
                  tech, they are tractor engines and can take a lot of
                  misfit, but anyway BMC knew at the time what´s best to
                  do with them, even its printed 60 or 70 years ago.</span><span
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black"><o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">Some
                  people try to adjust the fuel mixture with a
                  CO-tester. You can do that, but it doesn´t give best
                  results for road use, especially in hotter climates
                  and high above sea level. </span><span
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black"><o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">When
                  you are very good in engine engineering and have all
                  the tools you can try to find some more horsepower in
                  your engine, but you always pay that with some more
                  heat produced, which is not at all good for our old
                  BMC engines.</span><span
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black"><o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black"> <o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">Josef</span><span
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black"><o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black"> </span><span
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black"><o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black"> <o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black"> <o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">-----Original-Nachricht-----<o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">Betreff:
                  RE: [Healeys] Spark plug gap<o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">Datum:
                  2023-05-04T00:06:58+0200<o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">Von:
                  "<a href="mailto:simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com";
                    moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com</a>"
                  &lt;<a href="mailto:simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com";
                    moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">simon.lachlan@alexarevel.plus.com</a>&gt;<o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">An:
                  "<a href="mailto:josef-eckert@t-online.de";
                    moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">josef-eckert@t-online.de</a>"
                  &lt;<a href="mailto:josef-eckert@t-online.de";
                    moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">josef-eckert@t-online.de</a>&gt;<o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black"> <o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black"> <o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black"> <o:p></o:p></span></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">You
                      may be right. Not sure. <o:p></o:p></span></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">Actually
                      I thought that the gap was determined by the carâ??s
                      manufacturer ie one could expect to find the same
                      plug in two different cars and to find that the
                      recommended gap was not the same for each
car.<o:p></o:p></span></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">Likewise,
                      the BMC manual suggests Champion plugs at 0.024â??
                      to 0.026â?? and that was some 60+ years ago. Iâ??ve
                      always been told that Champion plugs arenâ??t the
                      best in the world and Iâ??m sure that a modern NGK
                      can stand a little more heat than the Champions
                      that were around 60 years ago.<o:p></o:p></span></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">Anyhow,
                      Iâ??ll keep an eye on them. Iâ??m a pretty tame driver
                      so there wonâ??t be undue stress under the
bonnet.<o:p></o:p></span></p>

[...]

                          03 May 2023 20:56<br>

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
                          <strong><span

style="font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif">Subject:</span></strong>
                          AW: [Healeys] Spark plug gap<o:p></o:p></span></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black"> <o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">Spark
                      plugs are designed and tested to be used with the
                      gap given by the producer of the spark plug.</span><span
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black"><o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">When
                      you widen the gap the plug gets hotter as it is
                      designed for and the electrode can melt or wear
                      very fast.</span><span
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black"><o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">Its
                      a very short win you gain modifying them.</span><span
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black"><o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">I
                      never understand why people think they are better
                      engineers and know better than the designers of
                      the system they use.</span><span
[...]
                      2023-05-03T21:39:57+0200<o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">Von:
                      "Simon Lachlan via Healeys" &lt;<a
                        href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";
                        moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt;<o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">An:
                      "'Healeys'" &lt;<a
                        href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";
                        moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt;<o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black"> <o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black"> <o:p></o:p></span></p>
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black"> <o:p></o:p></span></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">I
                          run my MkII BT7 on NGK BP6ES which were
                          recommended by some of the wise ones on this
                          list.<o:p></o:p></span></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">The
                          car has a â??Sportsâ?? coil and a 123Ignition
                          distributor. DW fast road
camâ?¦etc<o:p></o:p></span></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">Now,
                          talking of â??recommendedâ??, the rolling road
                          guys told me to set the plugs at 0.028â?? and
                          pooh-poohed anything bigger when I suggested
                          that Iâ??d heard of much greater gaps with my
                          approximate setup.<o:p></o:p></span></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">So,
                          I went with 0.028.<o:p></o:p></span></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">The
                          other day, I decided to experiment and set my
                          spare set at 0.032â??. Same NGKs, no mileage on
                          them..decent plugs. Anyhow, it made a very
                          surprising difference. All round performance
                          is much enhanced.<o:p></o:p></span></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">Despite
                          itâ??s 3:54 diff and 28% OD, it was never
                          sluggish on our local hills. But now it fairly
                          zooms up them.<o:p></o:p></span></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">To
                          be frank, all a bit of a
surprise.<o:p></o:p></span></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">Not
                          boastingâ?¦just putting that out there in case
                          anyone else is thinking of going up a few
                          thouâ?¦..<o:p></o:p></span></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">When
                          I asked about gaps a few years back, some of
                          the suggestions were near 0.040â??. Surely that
                          a bit much?<o:p></o:p></span></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black">Simon<o:p></o:p></span></p>

style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black"> <o:p></o:p></span></p>
                style="mso-margin-top-alt:auto;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto"><span
style="font-size:9.0pt;font-family:&quot;Arial&quot;,sans-serif;color:black"> <o:p></o:p></span></p>
            <o:p></o:p></p>
          <pre>_______________________________________________<o:p></o:p></pre>
          <pre>Support Team.Net <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><o:p></o:p></pre>
          <pre>Suggested annual donation  $12.75<o:p></o:p></pre>
          <pre><o:p> </o:p></pre>
          <pre>Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys";
moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a