Re: [Healeys] Intermittent OD

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Intermittent OD
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 17:41:52 -0800

--------------NXD5MY1CM4iHRMoJKtiY2B3u

If by 'switch' you mean the 1-2-R lockout switch on the gearbox 'remote'
shifter it could need adjusting or replacing. To test, switch O/D on at
the dash and move the shift to 3rd or 4th and hold hard to the right.
Check operation of the solenoid (or with a voltmeter). It's a simple,
spring-loaded SPST (single-pole single-throw) contacter, but its depth
needs to be set with washers. If holding the lever hard right corrects
the problem then you can try thinner spacers, but it's not a bad idea to
replace it on principle; esp. if it's original or very old. If the
solenoid works when it gets power it's not the problem (though they do
fail).

I've had a couple of the dash switches fail intermittently--esp.
aftermarket ones--but you won't get power at the lockout switch if it's
not making contact. Another possibility is the relay on the firewall;
I've had them go intermittent. It's just a set of points on a cam; I had
one go intermittent and I opened it up in a hotel room and filed the
points and it worked for a couple thousand miles (think I still have it
as a spare).

On 11/8/2022 1:23 PM, Richard Antal via Healeys wrote:
> Gents,
> The solenoid and switch preceding it are twenty years old on my BJ8.
> In the past few months it operated unpredictably. I've pulled the
> tranny cover and demonstrated that the solenoid was failing to engage
> though power was coming to the switch. Before I could test to see if
> current was coming out of the switch to the solenoid, the later
> suddenly engaged. I was unable to reproduce failure of the solenoid to
> engage. The intermittent failure must be either due to the switch or
> the solenoid itself. Which is most likely to be the culprit? TIA.
>   rich antal

--------------NXD5MY1CM4iHRMoJKtiY2B3u

  <head>
  </head>
    If by 'switch' you mean the 1-2-R lockout switch on the gearbox
    'remote' shifter it could need adjusting or replacing. To test,
    switch O/D on at the dash and move the shift to 3rd or 4th and hold
    hard to the right. Check operation of the solenoid (or with a
    voltmeter). It's a simple, spring-loaded SPST (single-pole
    single-throw) contacter, but its depth needs to be set with washers.
    If holding the lever hard right corrects the problem then you can
    try thinner spacers, but it's not a bad idea to replace it on
    principle; esp. if it's original or very old. If the solenoid works
    when it gets power it's not the problem (though they do fail).<br>
    I've had a couple of the dash switches fail intermittently--esp.
    aftermarket ones--but you won't get power at the lockout switch if
    it's not making contact. Another possibility is the relay on the
    firewall; I've had them go intermittent. It's just a set of points
    on a cam; I had one go intermittent and I opened it up in a hotel
    room and filed the points and it worked for a couple thousand miles
    (think I still have it as a spare).<br>
      Healeys wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:458547099.1888896.1667942635922@mail.yahoo.com">
        Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;">
          preceding it are twenty years old on my BJ8. In the past few
          months it operated unpredictably. I've pulled the tranny cover
          and demonstrated that the solenoid was failing to engage
          though power was coming to the switch. Before I could test to
          see if current was coming out of the switch to the solenoid,
          the later suddenly engaged. I was unable to reproduce failure
          of the solenoid to engage. The intermittent failure must be
          either due to the switch or the solenoid itself. Which is most
          likely to be the culprit? TIA.</div>

--------------NXD5MY1CM4iHRMoJKtiY2B3u--

--===============7103624128175082876==