Re: [Healeys] Timing chain tensioner

To: <ggilliam@usol.com>, "'Healeys'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Timing chain tensioner
From: "m.g.sharp--- via Healeys" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2022 00:07:58 -0400
Hi Gordy,

About 18 month ago I had Mike Salter rebuild my BT7 motor and we had many
long discussions about various options for some parts, timing chain
tensioners being one of them.  There are several upgrades and it is tough to
decide what works best.  I combed the internet for information on them and
in the end decided that the one that MOSS sells as their "premium" tensioner
is the best bet.  Gordy, I did a summary of my findings for Mike, but I
can't find it.   The Moss "Premium" are made in France and it is the same
part that is sold as the OEM tensioner for certain Jaguars, in fact when the
part arrived from MOSS it was in a Jaguar/Land Rover box.  I had the Jag
part number as you could just go to your Jag/Land Rover dealer for it, but
cannot find it.  My recollection is that they are ALL spring loaded, but all
have an oil feed through them too.  I think the oil feed is just to
lubricate the interface with the chain, but not sure if oil plays a role in
tensioning.  The less expensive tensioner that MOSS offers is also offered
by a host of other suppliers and although I don't recall finding reports on
specific problems with it, I do recall reports of faster wear on the rubber
shoe.  I was never convinced that the version that DW sells was any better
than the French-made one.

I would also add that if you have the head off, I suggest not using the head
gasket that is supplied.  I did and it failed massively - coolant leaking
out everywhere.  That was after the block and head were taken to the machine
shop and the surfaces were decked to ensure they were flat.  Mike and I
carefully examined the gasket when it was removed, and could not see a flaw,
but it leaked.  I replaced it with the MOSS Premium Head Gasket and after
almost 2000 miles on the engine have had no problems.  One of the UK
suppliers also sold a composite gasket which I found after buying the MOSS
premium one, and I would have considered that.

Good luck