Re: [Healeys] Spokes & Tubes

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>, "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Spokes & Tubes
From: rkeysor <rkeysor@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2016 14:42:52 +0000 (UTC)

------=_Part_2038385_724300813.1473518572656

While working for the Dayton Daily News as a reporter in 1963, I owned a BT=
7 with painted wires. =C2=A0This car had been actively (on=C2=A0the track) =
drag raced by its previous=C2=A0owner, a law student from Cleveland. =C2=A0=
It had a number of broken spokes. =C2=A0Since I was in Dayton, I naturally =
took it to Dayton Wire Wheel, which I recall was actually in nearby Xenia a=
t the time. I arrived noonish, and the only =C2=A0person on hand, I believe=
, was the proprietor. =C2=A0This man cut out all of the broken spokes (can'=
t remember how many) and replaced and repainted them. =C2=A0I think the cha=
rge for this was very modest. =C2=A0The man also offered =C2=A0to sell me a=
 new set of Dayton wire wheels, saying that the design of the originals was=
 inadequate for the power generated by Healey 3000 engine. =C2=A0I don't kn=
ow whether this is true, but when he showed me difference in design of the =
two wheels, his observation made sense. =C2=A0I have replaced a few spokes =
on one wheel on of my BN7's chrome 60-spoke wheels, Dayton's, I assume. It'=
s a tedious job, requiring, of course, the removal of the tire and also the=
 removal of a couple of adjoining spokes to replace each broken spoke. =C2=
=A0Though I am experienced at tensioning bicycle wheel spokes--I own the as=
sociated gear--I made no effort to true the replacement spokes. =C2=A0I sim=
ply tensioned them as best I could. This car, then and now, runs down the r=
oad so perfectly--not a trace of cowl shake or anything--that I am afraid t=
o even replace the now somewhat dated tires.=20

    On Saturday, September 10, 2016 4:18 AM, Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.=