Re: [Healeys] Re BN7 battery door

To: "Daniel and Diane White" <dwhite4949@wowway.com>, "Healey list"
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Re BN7 battery door
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 21:14:42 -0400
Dan and Tim,

I would suggest the velcro is NOT the way to go in this application. It
won't hold the Armacord panel in a neat, precise and tidy manner.

The surrounding panel is thoroughly glued in place with a top quality
contact cement. In addition, aluminum pop rivets were installed at the front
corners to further secure the Armacord.If you're worried about water getting
under there and causing problems, a friend of mine has a BN7 in which
extensive rot has crept into almost every area of the car except for this
area. Thoroughly glued, moisture does not seem to have gotten in under
there.

Anyway, before glueing or applying any trim panels or pieces to the car, get
a 1" paint brush and apply a  swipe of flat finish paint that reasonably
matches the interior trim colour around the battery compartment aperture and
flanges and the hinge portion that will remain exposed. Install the already
trimmed battery lid into the car. The heads of the screws will be up, with
flats, locks and nuts on the under side. Then the main Armacord panel
surrounding the battery compartment lid is carefully glued into place,
lumping slightly over the hinges and screw heads.

In normal service, this area will be mostly covered by the spare tire
envelope. The tire strap will anchor at the front onto the chrome footman's
loop screwed to the middle of the lid. The strap will pass up through the
slot in the upper forward area of the envelope, pass over the tire inside,
and come out the back into the boot area where the other end of the strap
will anchor to the second footman's loop secured in the boot. The buckle
connecting the two will be accessed from the shorter strap in the boot.

Rich Chrysler