Restoration - Get it done

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Restoration - Get it done
From: "GARY MOOMAU" <moomau@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 08:45:13 -0800
After reading the e-mail from David Schweninger and Patton Dickson (e-mail
in mid-February), I thought I would add my comments on my procrastination
and/or cold feet.  After reading the comments on the list for about 2 =
years and attempting to try to get organized (Restoration wise) I was about
to give up, but I keep getting rejuvenated by people on the list that do not
give up.

I took my 67 BJ8 apart in 1989, bought several thousand dollars in new
parts, and stopped.  The chassis was way beyond my expertise (major rust).
I attempted to learn how to weld, but knowing how to remove the rails,
rocker panels, shock plates, etc. was one of the other problems.  I then
went back to school for my Masters, moved from California to Arizona, bought
a business, sold a business, move four more times and back to California,
you get the picture.  My BJ8 went with me (in a Basket).  I am now older
(maybe not wiser), retired, health aint great, I drop wrenches on my feet a
lot and hit my hand with hammer more then should be humanly possible.  I
just could not handle it anymore.  Decisions had to be made, so

After overcoming my cold feet and the fear that I may become a girly-man
if I asked for help, I finely determined that I needed a pro in my corner
to get this started and geter done.  I contacted Steve Tanner, Sports Car
Concepts (yes Virginia, the Senior Tanner of the Tanner Boys, who did the
chassis and panels for Kurt Tanner (Oh you remember the BJ Auctions).
Steve (Sports Car Concepts) and Kurt (@Kurt Tanner Restorations shops are
about 40 miles or so away from my home.  Steve and his wife were gracious to
come to my home and spend a couple of hours assessing my basket-case.
Steves advice, knowledge, words of wisdom, assistance, etc., put me back on
track.  Steve will be picking up my chassis, panels, and suspension in the
near not so distant future to get my restoration on track.  I found Steves
expertise and very reasonable rates for restoration something that I could
not pass up (and he and his wife are very nice people too).  I know the
frame will be perfect, the doors will be hung properly, the panels will be
panted and fit correctly, and the front and rear suspension, painted and
installed.

I can now see a light at the end of the tunnel.  My green monster was a
daily driver from 1982 to 1989, and it will be driver again after the
restoration is completed.  Except for the occasional hitting the fuel pump
with a hammer, and a tow truck breaking my front suspension, I never really
had any mechanical issues (only the ones that I caused).  My greatest
dangers are the inhabitants of the City of Yucaipa where you have wrinkles
driving land arks (trying to find there double-wides at sunset) and the
mesmerized cell phone morons looking for a place for an accident to
happen.  I can only say get the women and children off the sidewalks, the
green monster will be alive and well and going down Yucaipa Blvd in the near
future.

One thing is for sure, I will have a question or two for the list when I get
the chassis back and begin putting it back together.  There are some parts I
see that I just can't remember where they went or why (I hate when that
happens).

Gary Moomau, '67 BJ8
Yucaipa, CA