Overheating 100

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Overheating 100
From: "Greg Lemon" <glemon@neb.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 13:05:28 -0500
While taking a pleasant drive in my Healey 100 today I looked at the temp
guage and noticed it was hotter than I had ever seen it, around 212 degrees
farenheit.  I was about to stop anyway so kept my eye on it, it crept up
over 220, I stopped, car was actually running fine.

Checked the water, level was fine, nothing was leaking, water pump bearings
seemed tight, ???

Let it cool to about 180 then got back in for the short ride home, a couple
or three miles, the first mile it was at a normal for my car when
throuroughly warmed up 180-190 then it crept up to about 212 again quickly,
could see the guage move, stayed there shortly.

Then it went again quickly down to 180 for a while and stayed for the next
mile or so.  The last mile it just went nuts moved rapidly up to about 212,
then back down to 190, then pegged at 230, I was about a block away from
home so kept going and pulled into the garage.

When I stopped the car I heard a great gurgling and the collant seemed to be
boiling, in the block I think.

Any advice, car has always run under 200 in the past, even on the hottest of
days,  it was moderate this morning, 80 or so.  When it cools off I will
check the thermostat, have the cheapo kind not original equipment style.

Seems like something is blocked and the water is not circulating or only
intermittently, can the water pump fail without showing external signs of
failure?  Or maybe blockage to passageways in the block

THANKS

Greg Lemon
54 BN1

Check out the new British Cars Forum: