5 speed conversion

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: 5 speed conversion
From: "Bruce Starke" <bstarke@redshift.bc.ca>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 20:03:28 -0600
With all  this talk of the Smitty conversion, I decided to look again at the
Conversion Components 5 speed conversion again. I have had this for some years
and look at it periodically with a view to fitting it to my BJ7 to correct the
poor synchromesh action. At first I did not have the rear crossmember (I have
it now)  and have looked repeatedly at the measurement chart but cannot see
how the clearance is right for the relaese bearing to clutch. The new
bellhousing is a perfect fit with no interference but the bellhousing cannot
be made to reach the engine backplate. It  reqiures a spacer of about one and
an eighth inch so that the release bearing is just resting on the clutch
without depressing it. This can be viewed quite easily  through the clutch
release arm entry opening. Why would such a spacer be required? The
bellhousing is a perfect fit onto the Toyota gearbox and onto the engine
backplate and the rear mounting is a pretty good fit on the frame crossmember
distance-wise (but won't be if I move the gearbox backwards by the inch and a
bit). I have looked at the clutch release arm several times and it only fits
one way---
Any help would be appreciated
Bruce Starke
Golden  BC