geez

Re: Can you calibrate it any direction?

To: Arthur Emerson <vreihen@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Can you calibrate it any direction?
From: Byron Short <bshort@AFSinc.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 10:58:10 -0700
As usual, Artie is right on on the tilt thing.  (See my
other post, which I sent before reading Artie's answer.)

The M100 is a great buy at $115.  Remember, it's the ONLY
Palm sold which includes the proper HotSync cable.  All
others include a nicer, but not-useful-for-GEEZ HotSync
cradle, so you have to drop another $15-40 for a cable.  The
folks at Handspring are still playing with their G-Cube to
find out what kind of serial port is needed to make it wake
up and talk to the G-Cube.  In the mean time, the M100 or
M105 are great choices.  In fact, they might be even after
Handspring gets their product working for us, but it'll be
nice to be able to offer more choice.

--Byron

Arthur Emerson wrote:

> Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com> wrote:
> >
> > In my new car, the Geez cube will fit perfectly snugly in the
> > hole for the ashtray... but nose down.  Can you calibrate the
> > Geez cube in any direction, or does front need to be front and
> > top need to be top???
>
> I'm sure that Byron will correct me if I'm wrong, but the cube
> needs to be in some semblance of level.  My understanding of
> the internals is that there's two accelerometers in it, one
> facing F/R and the other R/L.  If you put it nose-down, the
> F/R accelerometer will always be reading 1.0g (Earth's gravity,
> or god's chosen calibration reference).
>
> Also, I'm sure that Byron has some math, but I'm thinking that
> calibrating the cube with a major tilt on any axis will
> diminish it's measuring resolution in that direction.
>
> Oh, I finally broke down on Monday and bought a Palm M100.
> It's on-sale at Best Buy for $115 until Saturday, if anybody
> else has been on the fence.  They also had the Palm VIIx on
> blowout for $179, the same price as the M105 and Handspring
> units.  Don't know much about the VIIx, but heard that it used
> to sell for $400+ a few weeks ago.....
>
> -Arthur

///
///  geez@autox.team.net mailing list