geez

Re: Questions

To: "Michael Nelson @ A-L Equipment" <Michael@a-lequipment.com>,
Subject: Re: Questions
From: Byron Short <bshort@AFSinc.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 16:50:06 -0700
Hi Michael,

I've forwarded your post to our GEEZ discussion/announce
list so that customers out there can respond about the C5
question.

Hey John Engstrom, do you have some words of wisdom here for
Michael?  Anyone else?  (I know we have several customers in
C5's, but I don't know if they are on this list or not.)

Regarding the recording length and those issues...

The laptop and the Palm both have a limit, but they aren't
what you are guessing.  The Palm limit is 25 minutes per
run.  The memory of the Palm is sufficient to hold much more
than this (2megs = about 4 hours).  The problem is in the
downloading to PC.  This 25 minute barrier is the maximum
single array size we can hold in memory at once.  We keep it
in a single array for speed of execution.  Shortly we'll
simply add on more arrays and different methods to page to
those arrays to bring us up to a much larger memory.  We are
currently thinking about 125 minutes as our final memory
upper limit.

The Laptop does more with the file as it comes in, on the
fly.  Because the laptop is doing even more things with the
data as it comes in, there's less space available for the
data.  The current limit is 16 minutes and 40 seconds on a
single run.  Yep, that's right.  The laptop can't record as
much on a single run as a Palm!  This is largely because we
expect the laptop to be used in not-so-serious races only,
as well as autocross.  For the serious race, we suspect that
most would prefer the size and ease of use of the Palm.
Anyway, same stuff as above applies.  You can store as much
as you want on the hard drive of your Laptop, and a single
gigantic run of many minutes or even hours could be read by
GEEZ as a multi-lap run.  The bottleneck is in the
download/record section.  And again, we'll bump this limit
to 125 minutes soon.

--Byron

"Michael Nelson @ A-L Equipment" wrote:

> Have a few questions, want to pick up this little item, but need to figure a
> few things out 1st.
>
> Do any of you use it in a C5? and if so, where did you mount it?
>
> What is the recording length for the unit pluged into a Lap-top (a Lap-top
> would be the way to go, I also have a Palm, but don't like the 25 minute
> cut-off)
>
> I can't figure out if the time is unlimited if in a laptop or not.

///
///  geez@autox.team.net mailing list
///