fot

Re: [Fot] Chevy rods/Moldex crank

To: Greg Blake <gblake58tr3@icloud.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Chevy rods/Moldex crank
From: Lorne Fritz via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 23:17:31 -0400
Cc: fot@autox.team.net

--00000000000071b0f706094b104c

Thanks everybody,  I have the info I need.   Lorne

On Fri, Nov 3, 2023 at 6:14=E2=80=AFPM Greg Blake <gblake58tr3@icloud.com> =
wrote:

> Since 2009, I=E2=80=99ve been using Eagle SIR ESP 5140 I-beam rods with t=
he Chevy
> rod bearing size big end. They are bullet proof. When I was using a stick
> crank, they survived two broken cranks. Now have switched to a custom cra=
nk
> sized for these rods. Motor can spin to 7000 no problem. Someone else
> mentioned the availability of the clevite bearings which is awesome.
>
> On my stock TR cranks, I ran these as piston guided rod since the big end
> was narrower than the bearing journal. Now the custom crank was made with
> these in mind so they are no longer piston guided. Since they are for a v=
8,
> there is some machine work involved in cutting a radius on one side of th=
> big end so it won=E2=80=99t foul the radius of the big journal on the cra=
nk. Pretty
> easy for a good machine shop. You=E2=80=99ll likely find that you need to=
 chamfer
> the rod bearings as well
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Nov 2, 2023, at 15:36, Lorne Fritz via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
> wrote:
> >
> > =EF=BB=BF
> > Hi, Could anybody tell me what rods you are using on a Moldex crank tha=
> is sized for a Chevy rod.  This is for a TR3/4 engine.  Pat number, size =
or
> application would help.   Thanks in advance.   Lorne
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/gblake58tr3@icloud.com

--00000000000071b0f706094b104c

"gmail_attr">On Fri, Nov 3, 2023 at 6:14=E2=80=AFPM Greg Blake &lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:gblake58tr3@icloud.com";>gblake58tr3@icloud.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br=
border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Since 2009, I=E2=
=80=99ve been using Eagle SIR ESP 5140 I-beam rods with the Chevy rod beari=
ng size big end. They are bullet proof. When I was using a stick crank, the=
y survived two broken cranks. Now have switched to a custom crank sized for=
 these rods. Motor can spin to 7000 no problem. Someone else mentioned the =
availability of the clevite bearings which is awesome. <br>
On my stock TR cranks, I ran these as piston guided rod since the big end w=
as narrower than the bearing journal. Now the custom crank was made with th=
ese in mind so they are no longer piston guided. Since they are for a v8, t=
here is some machine work involved in cutting a radius on one side of the b=
ig end so it won=E2=80=99t foul the radius of the big journal on the crank.=
 Pretty easy for a good machine shop. You=E2=80=99ll likely find that you n=
eed to chamfer the rod bearings as well <br>
Sent from my iPhone<br>
&gt; On Nov 2, 2023, at 15:36, Lorne Fritz via Fot &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:fo=
t@autox.team.net" target=3D"_blank">fot@autox.team.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; =EF=BB=BF<br>
&gt; Hi, Could anybody tell me what rods you are using on a Moldex crank th=
at is sized for a Chevy rod.=C2=A0 This is for a TR3/4 engine.=C2=A0 Pat nu=
mber, size or application would help.=C2=A0 =C2=A0Thanks in advance.=C2=A0 =
=C2=A0Lorne<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"mailto:fot@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank">fot@autox.team=
.net</a><br>
&gt; <br>