fot

Re: [Fot] A-type OD leaks

To: "'R. John Lye'" <rjl6n@cstone.net>, <yellow04@tr4racer.com>, <jaboruch@yahoo.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] A-type OD leaks
From: M&M Hado via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 16:47:14 -0500

--===============3189168246162426024==
        boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0065_01D9ECAB.476E1620"

------=_NextPart_000_0065_01D9ECAB.476E1620
        charset="utf-8"

All good suggestions and I would like to add a couple more on areas =
which have affected me in the past:

=20

The 8 springs are often referred to as =E2=80=9C4 long and 4 =
short=E2=80=9D but the springs are often approximately the same length.  =
Also, some are left hand wound and some are right hand wound.  Some have =
a paint mark (I=E2=80=99ve seen white, red, and blue) to differentiate =
the difference. =20

=20

To be sure I=E2=80=99m using the right ones in the right place, I test =
the springs by compressing each one to check their bound length.  I put =
it over a long threaded 5/16=E2=80=9D rod and compress with a nut on =
each end. Then measure or observe the bound length.  The =
=E2=80=9Clong=E2=80=9D spring will always be about 3/8=E2=80=9D to =
=C2=BD=E2=80=9D longer when completely compressed.  If a long spring is =
put in the wrong location, it will become coil bound when the overdrive =
is activated.  The result is that the clutch will not move enough to =
reach the brake ring and the OD will not engage.  Don=E2=80=99t ask me =
how I know this.

=20

Also, as Henry and John mentioned, the splines must be aligned before =
the shaft can be fully inserted and an old or spare A-type mainshaft =
(any TR2 through TR6 one will do since you are only using the back end =
of it).  How to get them aligned can be tricky once the OD is assembled. =
 It=E2=80=99s not just a matter of rotating the rear flange as you might =
think.  If the inside clutch face is against the annulus taper, both =
splines will rotate together when the rear flange is turned.  In order =
to get a relative movement to re-align them, the clutch must be pulled =
away from the annulus so the two can rotate separately until they are =
realigned.

=20

Hope this helps.

=20