fot

Re: [Fot] Race Report - VARAC Vintage Grand Prix

To: yellow04 <yellow04@tr4racer.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Race Report - VARAC Vintage Grand Prix
From: John Styduhar via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2023 12:05:51 -0400
Cc: fot@autox.team.net

--000000000000aff5f505fea5f151

Thanks Henry for the nice write-up.  All the TR cars performed very well
throughout the weekend.  A testament to the durability of the marque.  Like
Kas said, "never be beaten by equipment".   It really showed up in my run
group.

On Wed, Jun 21, 2023 at 8:50=E2=80=AFAM yellow04 via Fot <fot@autox.team.ne=
t> wrote:

> Following up from yesterday's report on the TR-MG challenge race, the
> rest of the weekend was just as much fun. Two things really pop out at
> you, VARAC has got the "festival event" concept nailed down. The drivers
> and crew had dinner provided Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights, with
> free beer every night, lots of socializing and live music. The local
> brewery did 4 special labeled beers, 3 of which I sampled and can say
> they were all quite good. Tons of spectators camping all around the
> track, walking through the paddock, lots of interaction with both
> racers/crews and spectators. Plus, the hospitality shown by VARAC to
> everybody continues to be the top notch. Second, how does 222 miles of
> timed track time at one of the premiere road courses in North America
> for an entry fee of US$508.52 sound? That is not a typo, I was scored
> for 89 timed laps and the entry fee was Canadian$675, my credit card was
> charged US$508.52. My entry fee worked out to $2.29 per mile of track
> time, that is really hard to beat at any track, let alone a bucket list
> track that hosted F1 back in the day!
>
> A word about how the event runs for our cars, VARAC runs two run groups
> of Vintage Historic leading up to the Sunday afternoon feature race, at
> which time the two run groups get combined so we run all Vintage
> Historic cars together. The two groups are divided by classes that are
> set by lap times, you get to chose what class you run! It's all about
> car and driver potential, not displacement.
>
> VH1 runs under 1.35
> VH2 runs between 1.35 to 1.40
> VH3 runs between 1.40 to 1.45
> VH4 runs between 1.45 to 1.50
> VH5 runs between 1.50 to 1.55
> VH6 runs over 1.55
>
> You say that sounds like bracket racing? It is bracket racing! If you go
> faster than your bogey time during the feature race you are disqualified
> from the podium. Also, VARAC rules state your starting position for the
> next race is determined by your finishing position of the last race, so
> if you have an issue you start from where you end up on the results
> sheet and have to work your way back up through the field. The Canadian
> racers are quite competitive, and the vast majority are good, clean
> drivers. Many of them have lots of laps at Mosport, and track knowledge
> is critical here. To run well here, you need to be a quick study as the
> track has very fast blind corners, and realize that middle pedal doesn't
> get a whole lot of use!
>
> As heard from around the paddock, "Those American Triumphs are taking
> all our trophies." Well, we did take home quite the pile of the big
> First Place trophies! In addition to taking the TR-MG Challenge top
> award...
>
> VH3 - Henry Frye, 1st place
> VH4 - John Styduhar, 1st place
> VH6 - Tim Slater, 1st place
>
> I would be remiss to not do a shout-out to John Styduhar. John qualified
> [...]

nks Henry for the nice write-up.=C2=A0 All the TR cars performed very well =
throughout the weekend.=C2=A0 A testament to the durability of the marque.=
=C2=A0 Like Kas said, &quot;never be beaten by equipment&quot;.=C2=A0 =C2=
ss=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Wed, Jun 21, 20=
23 at 8:50=E2=80=AFAM yellow04 via Fot &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:fot@autox.team=
_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204=
,204);padding-left:1ex">Following up from yesterday&#39;s report on the TR-=
MG challenge race, the <br>
rest of the weekend was just as much fun. Two things really pop out at <br>
you, VARAC has got the &quot;festival event&quot; concept nailed down. The =
drivers <br>
and crew had dinner provided Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights, with <br=

free beer every night, lots of socializing and live music. The local <br>
brewery did 4 special labeled beers, 3 of which I sampled and can say <br>
they were all quite good. Tons of spectators camping all around the <br>
track, walking through the paddock, lots of interaction with both <br>
racers/crews and spectators. Plus, the hospitality shown by VARAC to <br>
everybody continues to be the top notch. Second, how does 222 miles of <br>
timed track time at one of the premiere road courses in North America <br>
for an entry fee of US$508.52 sound? That is not a typo, I was scored <br>
for 89 timed laps and the entry fee was Canadian$675, my credit card was <b=
r>
charged US$508.52. My entry fee worked out to $2.29 per mile of track <br>
time, that is really hard to beat at any track, let alone a bucket list <br=

track that hosted F1 back in the day!<br>
A word about how the event runs for our cars, VARAC runs two run groups <br=

of Vintage Historic leading up to the Sunday afternoon feature race, at <br=

which time the two run groups get combined so we run all Vintage <br>
Historic cars together. The two groups are divided by classes that are <br>
set by lap times, you get to chose what class you run! It&#39;s all about <=
br>
car and driver potential, not displacement.<br>
VH1 runs under 1.35<br>
VH2 runs between 1.35 to 1.40<br>
VH3 runs between 1.40 to 1.45<br>
VH4 runs between 1.45 to 1.50<br>
VH5 runs between 1.50 to 1.55<br>
VH6 runs over 1.55<br>
You say that sounds like bracket racing? It is bracket racing! If you go <b=
r>
faster than your bogey time during the feature race you are disqualified <b=
r>
from the podium. Also, VARAC rules state your starting position for the <br=

next race is determined by your finishing position of the last race, so <br=

if you have an issue you start from where you end up on the results <br>
sheet and have to work your way back up through the field. The Canadian <br=

racers are quite competitive, and the vast majority are good, clean <br>
drivers. Many of them have lots of laps at Mosport, and track knowledge <br=

is critical here. To run well here, you need to be a quick study as the <br=

track has very fast blind corners, and realize that middle pedal doesn&#39;=
t <br>
get a whole lot of use!<br>
As heard from around the paddock, &quot;Those American Triumphs are taking =
all our trophies.&quot; Well, we did take home quite the pile of the big <b=
r>
First Place trophies! In addition to taking the TR-MG Challenge top <br>
award...<br>
VH3 - Henry Frye, 1st place<br>
VH4 - John Styduhar, 1st place<br>
VH6 - Tim Slater, 1st place<br>
I would be remiss to not do a shout-out to John Styduhar. John qualified <b=
r>
on the pole for his run group, VH4, 5 and 6. It looked like his main <br>
competition was going to be a very fast Canadian Midget, the two of them <b=
r>
trading fast laps during qualifying. As the races progressed over the <br>
weekend, the Midget had an issue and started the next race from the <br>
back, so John had at least one race without that guy to worry about, but <b=
r>
a Cortina and a Lotus 7 were all over him until the Midget caught back <br>
up to the front. In that final race before VH4, 5 and 6 got combined <br>
with the faster group, John fell back to as far as 5th place early on, <br>
then worked his way back to the front to take the overall win! For those <b=
r>
of you keeping track, John&#39;s first race wins came last time out at <br>
Summit Point, so he continues to show what a well prepared and driven <br>
Triumph is capable of. Well done, John!<br>
Until next time...<br>
Henry Frye<br>
/a><br>
http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" targe=
t=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive</a> <a href=3D"http://www.team.n=
et/pipermail/fotUnsubscribe/Manage" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">ht=
tp://www.team.net/pipermail/fot<br>
t/johnstydo@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.te=
am.net/mailman/options/fot/johnstydo@gmail.com</a><br>

--000000000000aff5f505fea5f151--