fot

Re: [Fot] Vintage race track

To: DENNIS WALJE <walje@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Vintage race track
From: Harvey Kinnard via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 15:31:07 -0500
Cc: Fot <fot@autox.team.net>

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 6, 2023, at 12:52 PM, DENNIS WALJE via Fot <fot@autox.team.net> wrote:
>
> Hi FOT
>
> If you have ever thought of driving on a historic race track, you might look
> at the â??Lake Garnett Grand Prix Revivalâ?? site.
>
> The city is recreating the event held in the 50s and 60s. The event is on
> public roads around a lake in Lake Garnett Kansas. I remember it as a boy and
> it attracted Carroll Shelby and the Cobra team, the factory Corvette team and
> entrants from across the country. At one time there were thousands of
> spectators.
>
> The event is Oct 13-15. While is itâ??s not a sanctioned race it is an
> opportunity to drive at speed (various classes) as a track day.  It also has
> an auto cross.
>
> Itâ??s a low stress way to enjoy your car on track and see a lot of vintage
> cars.
>
> Cheers
>
> Dennis Walje
> 1968 GT6
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Hello FOT,
I want to second this Track and Event. If you pony up and join Heartland
Vintage Racing for less than $100.00 you can run in the Vintage Racing Class
without any speed restrictions. There are two actual racing classes, one for
vintage racers and one for modern race cars. The track is not wide so smaller
cars do well, often beating the big hp cars. The cars that show up are
surprising, from super impressive to super, what was that. If you check out
Lake Garnett Grand Prix Revival you will begin to get a feel for this historic
track. When Shelby showed up to contest the â??factoryâ?? Corvettes 60,000
spectators showed up and completely overwhelmed tiny Garnett. Full disclosure,
they still wonâ??t let anyone race into the sharp turn onto the dam. A chicane
of hay bales prevents that. It is a course that requires your full attention.
There is no qualifying or timing and scoring so youâ??ll have to figure out how
you are doing on your own.  It is a great course for Triumphs. This year will
be the 10th anniversary of the event. Love to see everyone there.
Harvey Kinnard
Red TR 4 #111