fot

[Fot] Kastner Cup 2023: A Celebration of Champions

To: fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Kastner Cup 2023: A Celebration of Champions
From: Brian Garcia via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2022 10:24:22 -0500 (CDT)

------=_Part_43236_100863052.1659626662257

Good morning, FOT

I wanted to send out a couple of notes this week regarding next year=E2=80=
=99s Kastner Cup at Road America.  The 21st running of the Kastner Cup will=
 be a Celebration of Champions.  We are hoping to get as many of the past C=
up Recipients together as possible to honor their contribution to the first=
 20 years of this remarkable tradition of camaraderie within the Vintage Ra=
cing world.  There will be a ceremonial retirement of the current Kastner C=
up.  The tradition has outlasted the trophy and the current Cup does not ha=
ve room left for the names of those winners to come.  As such, a new Kastne=
r Cup is being commissioned and, after the handoff next year, the current C=
up will reside on display at the British Sports Car Hall of Fame.   It is a=
 tribute to Kas and to all of you that this wonderful event continues and w=
e are looking forward to ushering in the next 20 years  For your reference,=
 here is a list of all of those that we will honor:

Kastner Cup Winners

* 2003: Jack Drews (TR-4) Mosport Raceway, Ontario Canada
* 2004: John Wilkins (Spitfire) Buttonwillow Raceway, California
* 2005: Jeff Snook (TR-3) Atlanta Raceway, Georgia
* 2006: Tom Kreger (TR-6) Hallett Raceway, Oklahoma
* 2007: Chuck Gee (Spitfire) Miller Motorsports Park, Utah
* 2008: Tony Garmey (TR-250K) Watkins Glen, New York
* 2009: Mordy Dunst (TR-4) Portland International Raceway, Oregon
* 2010: Keith Files (TR-4) Topeka Raceway Park, Kansas
* 2011: Jerry Barker (Herald) Laguna Seca, California
* 2012: Randy Williams (TR-3) Road Atlanta, Georgia
* 2013: Ken Knight (TR-4) Road America, Wisconsin
* 2014: Greg Black (TR-3 on a TR4 chassis) Eagle Canyon Raceway, Texas
* 2015: Mark Wheatley (TR-4) Summit Point, Virginia
* 2016: Jerry Barker (Herald from Hell) Sonoma Raceway, California
* 2017: Jeff Snook (TR-3A) Blackhawk Farms Raceway, IL
* 2018: Jim Dolan (GT-6) Pitt Race Complex, Pennsylvania
* 2019: Brian Howlett (TR-4) Buttonwillow Raceway, California
* 2020: Mike Munson (TR-6) Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Ohio
* 2021: Jeff Quick (TR-4A) Portland International Raceway, Oregon
* 2022: Henry Frye (TR-250) Pittsburgh International Race Complex

On another note, as you can see above the events of the past 20 years have =
successfully taken place on all manner of circuits from pro to club, long/f=
ast to short/twisty,  and have been hosted by organizations big and small t=
hat exist in both for and not for profit varieties.  All throughout, FOT ha=
s remained a =E2=80=9Cclub that=E2=80=99s not a club=E2=80=9D operating wit=
hout dues, fees, bylaws, or any of the red tape politics that can creep int=
o any sanctioning body and take away from the enjoyment of why we exist: to=
 race.  The event that will host us next year is big departure from the eve=
nt that hosted the last race I chaired in 2017.  The former, at Road Americ=
a,  is one of the largest Vintage Events in the country at a historic, prem=
ier circuit that everyone who is anyone that has raced in the US in the las=
t 60 years has turned a wheel on at some point.  The Weathertech Internatio=
nal Challenge (WIC) is organized by the same team that hosts Indycar, NASCA=
R, and IMSA and the event accordingly has a pro level feel to it. The latte=
r, at Blackhawk Farms, is a smallish, wonderfully laid back club level even=
t held at what I think is one of the hidden gems of US Circuits.  I approac=
hed Joe with the idea of hosting the Cup at Blackhawk because I really want=
ed to give those that hadn=E2=80=99t a reason to come and experience one of=
 my favorite events and tracks because I knew they would love it and that w=
e could put on a good event there.  Though on the different of the spectrum=
, I feel the same way about the host track and event next year.  Beyond jus=
t the racing challenges and thrills that Road America provides, the event p=
rovides a singular opportunity for us amateur racers to get a little taste =
of what it would have been like to race in the golden era when crowds gathe=
red to see beautiful pieces of machinery being pushed to unreasonable limit=
s by drivers brave (or foolish?) enough to wield them.  The community embra=
ces the event with open arms and the atmosphere in Elkhart Lake that race w=
eekend surpasses any other race weekend of the year =E2=80=93 Pro or otherw=
ise.  We want to give you guys a reason not just to experience it, but to b=
e at the center of it.  We will make sure the FOT paddock is as warm as wel=
coming as it was in 2017.  But, unlike Blackhawk where there is nothing out=
side of the track gate that I would classify as an experiential bucket list=
 item, next year=E2=80=99s event offers many things outside of our paddock =
that I think everyone should experience once.  I have been lucky to partici=
pate in the WIC for the past 10 years.  During that time I have experienced=
 it all from mechanical failures and a wreck to podiums and overall group w=
ins.  No matter how things are going on track, being able to experience tha=
t weekend at Elkhart Lake on a summer weekend has been a highlight of my ye=
ar every year.  A long day of wrenching and bleeding on your car turns arou=
nd quickly when you get to drive it into town with thousands watching and c=
heering.  For those few hours you feel like the racing heroes you watched g=
rowing up.  There is an intrinsic value to that type of experience.

Each year, those that organize the Cup do so out of the same altruistic des=
ire to keep it going.  Most of the time, their motivations are like mine wh=
en it comes to the choice of venue and event.  They have a connection there=
 and try to play host to those that can make it.  The choice of venue and e=
vent will never be everyone=E2=80=99s first choice.  Whether it is the cost=
 of towing or time needed to travel, distance is probably the first barrier=
 that some need to consider.  Next is scheduling =E2=80=93 particularly for=
 summer events.  Vacations and other obligations (or even other Vintage Eve=
nts) can come into conflict.  Can't forget cost - racing is an expensive ho=
bby regardless of the location and the cost of running the Cup vs. perhaps =
something local certainly is a consideration for every racer.  Lastly, ther=
e are those that have a strong preference for one of the two ends of the sp=
ectrum of event as I described above.  All of those factor into your choice=
 on whether or not you are able to or want to attend the event that is bein=
g organized for you.  We understand all of these factors and make the same =
decisions ourselves every year when the next Cup is announced.  Unfortunate=
ly, we can=E2=80=99t change the geography of our huge country, the price of=
 fuel, or the personal, professional, or racing calendars of our members.  =
We can only influence the experience for those that make it   As a =E2=80=
=9Cclub that=E2=80=99s not a club=E2=80=9D we also have no established reve=
nue or budget for these events so we fundraise what we can and do the best =
with the money raised.  We will put on a great event and do our best that m=
ake sure those that attend have a good time.  We want it to be something Ka=
s would be proud of and that Joe Alexander will be proud of in his stead as=
 Grand Marshall.  The Kastner Cup is the draw =E2=80=93 the rest are fringe=
 benefits.  From the inside you guys might not appreciate how truly unique =
this tradition is our level of racing.  As an outsider I see it and appreci=
ate it enough to do my part to keep it going even though I don=E2=80=99t ow=
n a Triumph and haven=E2=80=99t ever had the opportunity to experience the =
Kastner Cup as a competitor (though I certainly hope to someday).  I hope t=
hose that are able will find a way to be a part of it too and will put it o=
n your schedules for next year.  For those that can=E2=80=99t we understand=
 and will miss you but will do our best through multiple methods to keep yo=
u apprised throughout the event.=20

Mark and I will continue to post details even at this early stage to keep y=
ou abreast of how things are shaping up and any new developments.  Thanks t=
o all that have shown their support so far - we are working hard to let you=
 enjoy the spotlight in '23!

Best regards,

Brian Garcia

Co-Chair 2023 Kastner Cup

July 14-16 Road America

------=_Part_43236_100863052.1659626662257

<!doctype html>
 <head>=20
 </head>
tica,arial,sans-serif; color: #333333;">
pan></span></span>
    Good morning, FOT
    I wanted to send out a couple of notes this week regarding next year=E2=
=80=99s Kastner Cup at Road America.&nbsp; The 21<sup style=3D"line-height:=
 0;">st</sup> running of the Kastner Cup will be a Celebration of Champions=
.&nbsp; We are hoping to get as many of the past Cup Recipients together as=
 possible to honor their contribution to the first 20 years of this remarka=
ble tradition of camaraderie within the Vintage Racing world.&nbsp; There w=
ill be a ceremonial retirement of the current Kastner Cup.&nbsp; The tradit=
ion has outlasted the trophy and the current Cup does not have room left fo=
r the names of those winners to come.&nbsp; As such, a new Kastner Cup is b=
eing commissioned and, after the handoff next year, the current Cup will re=
side on display at the British Sports Car Hall of Fame.&nbsp; &nbsp;It is a=
 tribute to Kas and to all of you that this wonderful event continues and w=
e are looking forward to ushering in the next 20 years&nbsp; For your refer=
ence, here is a list of all of those that we will honor:
    <strong>Kastner Cup Winners</strong>
   <ul>
    <li>2003: Jack Drews (TR-4) Mosport Raceway, Ontario Canada</li>
    <li>2004: John Wilkins (Spitfire) Buttonwillow Raceway, California</li>
    <li>2005: Jeff Snook (TR-3) Atlanta Raceway, Georgia</li>
    <li>2006: Tom Kreger (TR-6) Hallett Raceway, Oklahoma</li>
    <li>2007: Chuck Gee (Spitfire) Miller Motorsports Park, Utah</li>
    <li>2008: Tony Garmey (TR-250K) Watkins Glen, New York</li>
    <li>2009: Mordy Dunst (TR-4) Portland International Raceway, Oregon</li=

    <li>2010: Keith Files (TR-4) Topeka Raceway Park, Kansas</li>
    <li>2011: Jerry Barker (Herald) Laguna Seca, California</li>
    <li>2012: Randy Williams (TR-3) Road Atlanta, Georgia</li>
    <li>2013: Ken Knight (TR-4) Road America, Wisconsin</li>
    <li>2014: Greg Black (TR-3 on a TR4 chassis) Eagle Canyon Raceway, Texa=
s</li>
    <li>2015: Mark Wheatley (TR-4) Summit Point, Virginia</li>
    <li>2016: Jerry Barker (Herald from Hell) Sonoma Raceway, California</l=
i>
    <li>2017: Jeff Snook (TR-3A) Blackhawk Farms Raceway, IL</li>
    <li>2018: Jim Dolan (GT-6) Pitt Race Complex, Pennsylvania</li>
    <li>2019: Brian Howlett (TR-4) Buttonwillow Raceway, California</li>
    <li>2020: Mike Munson (TR-6) Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Ohio</li>
    <li>2021: Jeff Quick (TR-4A) Portland International Raceway, Oregon</li=

    <li>2022: Henry Frye (TR-250) Pittsburgh International Race Complex</li=

   </ul>
    On another note, as you can see above the events of the past 20 years h=
ave successfully taken place on all manner of circuits from pro to club, lo=
ng/fast to short/twisty, &nbsp;and have been hosted by organizations big an=
d small that exist in both for and not for profit varieties.&nbsp; All thro=
ughout, FOT has remained a =E2=80=9Cclub that=E2=80=99s not a club=E2=80=9D=
 operating without dues, fees, bylaws, or any of the red tape politics that=
 can creep into any sanctioning body and take away from the enjoyment of wh=
y we exist: to race.&nbsp; The event that will host us next year is big dep=
arture from the event that hosted the last race I chaired in 2017.&nbsp; Th=
e former, at Road America, &nbsp;is one of the largest Vintage Events in th=
e country at a historic, premier circuit that everyone who is anyone that h=
as raced in the US in the last 60 years has turned a wheel on at some point=
.&nbsp; The Weathertech International Challenge (WIC) is organized by the s=
ame team that hosts Indycar, NASCAR, and IMSA and the event accordingly has=
 a pro level feel to it. The latter, at Blackhawk Farms, is a smallish, won=
derfully laid back club level event held at what I think is one of the hidd=
en gems of US Circuits.&nbsp; I approached Joe with the idea of hosting the=
 Cup at Blackhawk because I really wanted to give those that hadn=E2=80=99t=
 a reason to come and experience one of my favorite events and tracks becau=
se I knew they would love it and that we could put on a good event there.&n=
bsp; Though on the different of the spectrum, I feel the same way about the=
 host track and event next year.&nbsp; Beyond just the racing challenges an=
d thrills that Road America provides, the event provides a singular opportu=
nity for us amateur racers to get a little taste of what it would have been=
 like to race in the golden era when crowds gathered to see beautiful piece=
s of machinery being pushed to unreasonable limits by drivers brave (or foo=
lish?) enough to wield them.&nbsp; The community embraces the event with op=
en arms and the atmosphere in Elkhart Lake that race weekend surpasses any =
other race weekend of the year =E2=80=93 Pro or otherwise.&nbsp; We want to=
 give you guys a reason not just to experience it, but to be at the center =
of it.&nbsp; We will make sure the FOT paddock is as warm as welcoming as i=
t was in 2017.&nbsp; But, unlike Blackhawk where there is nothing outside o=
f the track gate that I would classify as an experiential bucket list item,=
 next year=E2=80=99s event offers many things outside of our paddock that I=
 think everyone should experience once.&nbsp; I have been lucky to particip=
ate in the WIC for the past 10 years.&nbsp; During that time I have experie=
nced it all from mechanical failures and a wreck to podiums and overall gro=
up wins.&nbsp; No matter how things are going on track, being able to exper=
ience that weekend at Elkhart Lake on a summer weekend has been a highlight=
 of my year every year.&nbsp; A long day of wrenching and bleeding on your =
car turns around quickly when you get to drive it into town with thousands =
watching and cheering.&nbsp; For those few hours you feel like the racing h=
eroes you watched growing up.&nbsp; There is an intrinsic value to that typ=
e of experience.
    Each year, those that organize the Cup do so out of the same altruistic=
 desire to keep it going.&nbsp; Most of the time, their motivations are lik=
e mine when it comes to the choice of venue and event.&nbsp; They have a co=
nnection there and try to play host to those that can make it.&nbsp; The ch=
oice of venue and event will never be everyone=E2=80=99s first choice.&nbsp=
; Whether it is the cost of towing or time needed to travel, distance is pr=
obably the first barrier that some need to consider.&nbsp; Next is scheduli=
ng =E2=80=93 particularly for summer events.&nbsp; Vacations and other obli=
gations (or even other Vintage Events) can come into conflict.&nbsp; Can't =
forget cost - racing is an expensive hobby regardless of the location and t=
he cost of running the Cup vs. perhaps something local certainly is a consi=
deration for every racer.&nbsp; Lastly, there are those that have a strong =
preference for one of the two ends of the spectrum of event as I described =
above.&nbsp; All of those factor into your choice on whether or not you are=
 able to or want to attend the event that is being organized for you.&nbsp;=
 We understand all of these factors and make the same decisions ourselves e=
very year when the next Cup is announced.&nbsp; Unfortunately, we can=E2=80=
=99t change the geography of our huge country, the price of fuel, or the pe=
rsonal, professional, or racing calendars of our members.&nbsp; We can only=
 influence the experience for those that make it &nbsp;&nbsp;As a =E2=80=9C=
club that=E2=80=99s not a club=E2=80=9D we also have no established revenue=
 or budget for these events so we fundraise what we can and do the best wit=
h the money raised.&nbsp; We will put on a great event and do our best that=
 make sure those that attend have a good time. &nbsp;We want it to be somet=
hing Kas would be proud of and that Joe Alexander will be proud of in his s=
tead as Grand Marshall.&nbsp; The Kastner Cup is the draw =E2=80=93 the res=
t are fringe benefits.&nbsp; From the inside you guys might not appreciate =
how truly unique this tradition is our level of racing.&nbsp; As an outside=
r I see it and appreciate it enough to do my part to keep it going even tho=
ugh I don=E2=80=99t own a Triumph and haven=E2=80=99t ever had the opportun=
ity to experience the Kastner Cup as a competitor (though I certainly hope =
to someday).&nbsp; I hope those that are able will find a way to be a part =
of it too and will put it on your schedules for next year.&nbsp; For those =
that can=E2=80=99t we understand and will miss you but will do our best thr=
ough multiple methods to keep you apprised throughout the event.&nbsp;
    Mark and I will continue to post details even at this early stage to ke=
ep you abreast of how things are shaping up and any new developments.&nbsp;=

--===============1106174344640441725==

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

--===============1106174344640441725==--