fot

Re: [Fot] 2023 Kastner Cup Question

To: yellow04 <yellow04@tr4racer.com>, Paul Ricco <paulricco@att.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] 2023 Kastner Cup Question
From: Robert Lang via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 16:28:36 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>

------=_Part_3627643_1798891977.1658248116693

 2023 Kastner Cup race is the July race at Road America.
Ciao.

    On Tuesday, July 19, 2022 at 12:11:28 PM EDT, Paul Ricco via Fot <fot@a=
utox.team.net> wrote: =20
=20
 Henry,

Congratulations to you and Tony, as well as the rest of the award recipient=
s.

Since there are 3 fairly large vintage races at Road America each summer, c=
ould you please tell us which one that the Kastner Cup will be part of?=C2=
=A0 One is in May (SVRA), one is July (Run by R.A.) and the Fall Vintage Fe=
stival is in September (VSCDA).=C2=A0 It could help people with planning to=
 know which one the Kastner Cup will be at.

Hotel space gets tight quickly for the July and September events.=C2=A0 The=
refore, people will want to reserve rooms as early as possible if it will b=
e held in conjunction with one of those events.

Thanks, again congratulations.

Paul Ricco

> On Jul 19, 2022, at 9:36 AM, yellow04 via Fot <fot@autox.team.net> wrote:
>=20
> Again, thanks to everybody who came out to the Kastner Cup this past week=
end, both racers and friends. It was fantastic to spend time with old frien=
ds and make new ones. While my weekend got much more exciting at the Kastne=
r Cup presentation, it still would have been a really great race weekend fo=
r me had the cards fallen in a different direction with the pick for the K-=
Cup winner.
>=20
> As I sat on the Grid for the K-Cup race, I am looking at Chris Marks (TR8=
) on pole, Sam Halkius (TR6) on the outside pole, then Joe Carr (Huffaker T=
R8) and my TR250 on the second row. Behind me is the Curt Johnston (Huffake=
r TR7) and Bob "why are they braking 200 feet early?" Lang (TR6). Plus, I r=
ealize there are several really fast GT6's back there, although circumstanc=
es kept the Dolan cars from posting times that would put them where they be=
longed on the grid. I'm feeling intimidated, I realize that set of Speedste=
rs under my car are going to be working really, really hard keep any kind o=
f pace with this crew. The rest of this is by memory, as my camera didn't w=
ork...
>=20
> The race is off to a great start, and somehow I find myself dogging the H=
uffaker TR8. It rained earlier in the day, and the track would best be desc=
ribed as "drying, but not quite dry". I realize Joe is driving a borrowed, =
incredibly important, historic car, and is feeling out the corners, but for=
 me the grip was there. On the second lap, Joe goes a little hot into one o=
f the uphill sweepers, and my six cylinder powers by him on the inside. Joe=
 takes the position back exhibiting superior straight line speed, but I got=
 him again. If memory serves, we traded places a couple times, I am scored =
in front of the TR8 for laps 3, 4 and 5! As the race wears on, Joe settles =
in and shows us what he and that beautiful TR8 were capable of, and finishe=
s the race some 12 seconds in front of me. After the race Joe explains to m=
e what I was seeing in his cockpit, his HANS tether was not quite right and=
 he was trying to get it sorted while on track!
>=20
> I am thrilled to finish 4th, the first car not running on grooved slicks.=
 Even better, I learn Mark Wheatley, my long-time paddock partner finished =
behind me in 5th in his TR4! Unfortunately for Bob Lang, his car didn't go =
the distance, he pulled in after noticing a temperature spike.
>=20
> In the reunion race Sunday morning, Sam's TR6 was a no-show, and Chris wa=
s under strict orders to keep the car in one piece as car owner Peter has a=
 pending sale in place. The two TR8's are front row, with me and Curt Johns=
ton right behind them. The two TR8's take off, and my rear view mirrors are=
 quickly filled with Bob Lang and Brian Dolan's GT6. I am watching the two =
of them battle it out, when Bob gets by me in Turn 3. It does not take long=
 before Brian gets by me as well and catches Bob. Now I am watching the two=
 of them race each other hard, and I am enjoying the action from the best s=
eat in the house. When the two of them are trying to out brake each other i=
n turn 3 and I see each of them making tire smoke, I realize things are rea=
lly heating up there! Then they are side by side going down into turn 5. Kn=
owing there is no way two cars are going to through turn 5 faster than one =
car can, I lay back a little and it unfolds perfectly. I get the run into t=
he corner, am on the ga
 s hard tracking out on the preferred line, and can squeeze my way right up=
 the middle between the two cars! Thanks for making room guys, that was an =
awesome pass! Bob and Brian continued racing each other so the rest of my r=
ide in the reunion race was not heavily contested, and I was pleased to fin=
ish third behind the two TR8's. As I understand it, Chris had to slow down =
to let his brakes recover, Joe took the overall lead and by the time Chris =
had confidence in his brakes again, he was out of time to mount a comeback.=
 He told me he needed one more lap to catch Joe!
>=20
> A few highlights for me over the course of the weekend include:
>=20
> The whole scene with Christian Marks flying in from Germany to drive Cana=
dian Pete Bulkowski's TR8. These guys know how to have fun while preparing =
a fast race car. Then there was Chris' incredible drive on Saturday morning=
's Ground Pounders group session. It was a very wet track and he literally =
lapped the entire field and the rooster tail shooting up behind the TR8 was=
 so cool! Somebody posted some video of that somewhere, maybe somebody can =
provide a link?
>=20
> Meeting Lyman and Dave running the Baja TR3. Taking one look at the car y=
ou immediately realized this thing is something special. While it was obvio=
us the car was not going to be competitive for race wins on a road course, =
it shows how we still have people who are committed to the Triumph marque, =
who are willing to spend the time and effort to save significant Triumph hi=
story, and are willing to share that with us in venues like the Kastner Cup=
. Well done Lyman, thanks for your efforts. And well driven Dave, you had a=
 tough task in front of you managing the car on a road course. I can't wait=
 to hear about the car's next chapter!
>=20
> I helped out on the K-Cup committee, so seeing how the event unfolded aft=
er all the planning was kind of cool for me. Curt Johnston did a stellar jo=
b, and Jim Dolan steered his crew with the PVGP to really make this a speci=
al event for us. Job well done guys!
>=20
> Seeing the family teams in action is always cool for me, we had Sean and =
Brendan Alexander, Marty and Jason Sukey, Phil and Dave Gott, Jessie and Pa=
t Darrow, and of course the Dolan family. Sorry if I missed anybody!
>=20
> Hats off to Joe Alexander and his family, while it may look like all this=
 just happens, there is a lot of work behind the scenes. Thanks guys.
>=20
> So next year the race for the Kastner Cup will be at Road America, I can'=
t wait! With a full grid of the Mid-west Triumph folk gunning for the Cup, =
I am confident that it will be a spectacular show! I think the smart money =
will be on Friendly Ghost Racing, no pressure Jason! :-)
>=20
> Henry Frye
> #29 TR250
tt.net
>=20
>=20

fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

@yahoo.com

 =20
------=_Part_3627643_1798891977.1658248116693

=3D"font-family:Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px=
;"><div></div>
 July race at Road America.</div><div dir=3D"ltr" data-setdir=3D"false"><br=

       =20
b4c85fyahoo_quoted">
ans-serif;font-size:13px;color:#26282a;">
               =20
                    On Tuesday, July 19, 2022 at 12:11:28 PM EDT, Paul Ricc=
o via Fot &lt;fot@autox.team.net&gt; wrote:
"none">Congratulations to you and Tony, as well as the rest of the award re=
cipients.<br clear=3D"none"><br clear=3D"none">Since there are 3 fairly lar=
ge vintage races at Road America each summer, could you please tell us whic=
h one that the Kastner Cup will be part of?&nbsp; One is in May (SVRA), one=
 is July (Run by R.A.) and the Fall Vintage Festival is in September (VSCDA=
).&nbsp; It could help people with planning to know which one the Kastner C=
up will be at.<br clear=3D"none"><br clear=3D"none">Hotel space gets tight =
quickly for the July and September events.&nbsp; Therefore, people will wan=
t to reserve rooms as early as possible if it will be held in conjunction w=
ith one of those events.<br clear=3D"none"><br clear=3D"none">Thanks, again=
 congratulations.<br clear=3D"none"><br clear=3D"none">Paul Ricco<br clear=
=3D"none"><br clear=3D"none">&gt; On Jul 19, 2022, at 9:36 AM, yellow04 via=
 Fot &lt;<a shape=3D"rect" href=3D"mailto:fot@autox.team.net"; rel=3D"nofoll=
ow" target=3D"_blank">fot@autox.team.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br clear=3D"none">&=
gt; <br clear=3D"none">&gt; Again, thanks to everybody who came out to the =
Kastner Cup this past weekend, both racers and friends. It was fantastic to=
 spend time with old friends and make new ones. While my weekend got much m=
ore exciting at the Kastner Cup presentation, it still would have been a re=
ally great race weekend for me had the cards fallen in a different directio=
n with the pick for the K-Cup winner.<br clear=3D"none">&gt; <br clear=3D"n=
one">&gt; As I sat on the Grid for the K-Cup race, I am looking at Chris Ma=
rks (TR8) on pole, Sam Halkius (TR6) on the outside pole, then Joe Carr (Hu=
ffaker TR8) and my TR250 on the second row. Behind me is the Curt Johnston =
(Huffaker TR7) and Bob "why are they braking 200 feet early?" Lang (TR6). P=
lus, I realize there are several really fast GT6's back there, although cir=
cumstances kept the Dolan cars from posting times that would put them where=
 they belonged on the grid. I'm feeling intimidated, I realize that set of =
Speedsters under my car are going to be working really, really hard keep an=
y kind of pace with this crew. The rest of this is by memory, as my camera =
didn't work...<br clear=3D"none">&gt; <br clear=3D"none">&gt; The race is o=
[...]
to get it sorted while on track!<br clear=3D"none">&gt; <br clear=3D"none">=
&gt; I am thrilled to finish 4th, the first car not running on grooved slic=
ks. Even better, I learn Mark Wheatley, my long-time paddock partner finish=
ed behind me in 5th in his TR4! Unfortunately for Bob Lang, his car didn't =
go the distance, he pulled in after noticing a temperature spike.<br clear=
=3D"none">&gt; <br clear=3D"none">&gt; In the reunion race Sunday morning, =
[...]
folds perfectly. I get the run into the corner, am on the ga<br clear=3D"no=
ne"> s hard tracking out on the preferred line, and can squeeze my way righ=
t up the middle between the two cars! Thanks for making room guys, that was=
 an awesome pass! Bob and Brian continued racing each other so the rest of =
my ride in the reunion race was not heavily contested, and I was pleased to=
 finish third behind the two TR8's. As I understand it, Chris had to slow d=
own to let his brakes recover, Joe took the overall lead and by the time Ch=
ris had confidence in his brakes again, he was out of time to mount a comeb=
ack. He told me he needed one more lap to catch Joe!<br clear=3D"none">&gt;=
kend include:<br clear=3D"none">&gt; <br clear=3D"none">&gt; The whole scen=
e with Christian Marks flying in from Germany to drive Canadian Pete Bulkow=
ski's TR8. These guys know how to have fun while preparing a fast race car.=
 Then there was Chris' incredible drive on Saturday morning's Ground Pounde=
rs group session. It was a very wet track and he literally lapped the entir=
e field and the rooster tail shooting up behind the TR8 was so cool! Somebo=
dy posted some video of that somewhere, maybe somebody can provide a link?<=
br clear=3D"none">&gt; <br clear=3D"none">&gt; Meeting Lyman and Dave runni=
ng the Baja TR3. Taking one look at the car you immediately realized this t=
hing is something special. While it was obvious the car was not going to be=
 competitive for race wins on a road course, it shows how we still have peo=
ple who are committed to the Triumph marque, who are willing to spend the t=
ime and effort to save significant Triumph history, and are willing to shar=
e that with us in venues like the Kastner Cup. Well done Lyman, thanks for =
your efforts. And well driven Dave, you had a tough task in front of you ma=
naging the car on a road course. I can't wait to hear about the car's next =
chapter!<br clear=3D"none">&gt; <br clear=3D"none">&gt; I helped out on the=
 K-Cup committee, so seeing how the event unfolded after all the planning w=
as kind of cool for me. Curt Johnston did a stellar job, and Jim Dolan stee=
red his crew with the PVGP to really make this a special event for us. Job =
well done guys!<br clear=3D"none">&gt; <br clear=3D"none">&gt; Seeing the f=
amily teams in action is always cool for me, we had Sean and Brendan Alexan=
der, Marty and Jason Sukey, Phil and Dave Gott, Jessie and Pat Darrow, and =
of course the Dolan family. Sorry if I missed anybody!<br clear=3D"none">&g=
t; <br clear=3D"none">&gt; Hats off to Joe Alexander and his family, while =
it may look like all this just happens, there is a lot of work behind the s=
cenes. Thanks guys.<br clear=3D"none">&gt; <br clear=3D"none">&gt; So next =
year the race for the Kastner Cup will be at Road America, I can't wait! Wi=
th a full grid of the Mid-west Triumph folk gunning for the Cup, I am confi=
dent that it will be a spectacular show! I think the smart money will be on=
 Friendly Ghost Racing, no pressure Jason! :-)<br clear=3D"none">&gt; <br c=
lear=3D"none">&gt; Henry Frye<br clear=3D"none">&gt; #29 TR250<br clear=3D"=
none">&gt; _______________________________________________<br clear=3D"none=
">&gt; <a shape=3D"rect" href=3D"mailto:fot@autox.team.net"; rel=3D"nofollow=
" target=3D"_blank">fot@autox.team.net</a><br clear=3D"none">&gt; <br clear=
=3D"none">&gt; <a shape=3D"rect" href=3D"http://www.fot-racing.com"; rel=3D"=
nofollow" target=3D"_blank">http://www.fot-racing.com</a><br clear=3D"none"=
>&gt; <br clear=3D"none">&gt; Donate: <a shape=3D"rect" href=3D"http://www.=
team.net/donate.html" rel=3D"nofollow" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.ne=
t/donate.html</a><br clear=3D"none">&gt; Archive: <a shape=3D"rect" href=3D=
"http://autox.team.net/archive " rel=3D"nofollow" target=3D"_blank">http://=
autox.team.net/archive </a><a shape=3D"rect" href=3D"http://www.team.net/pi=
permail/fot" rel=3D"nofollow" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/piperma=
il/fot</a><br clear=3D"none">&gt; Unsubscribe/Manage: <a shape=3D"rect" hre=
f=3D"http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/paulricco@att.net"; rel=3D"no=
follow" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/paulric=
co@att.net</a><div class=3D"ydpf7b4c85fyqt2209515759" id=3D"ydpf7b4c85fyqtf=
=3D"none"><a shape=3D"rect" href=3D"mailto:fot@autox.team.net"; rel=3D"nofol=