fot

Re: [Fot] Kastner Cup race 2

To: Alfetta95 <alfetta95@optonline.net>, Alfetta95 via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>, Ponostyle <ponobill@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Kastner Cup race 2
From: Curt Johnston via Fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 16:22:04 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Joe Alexander <n197tr4@cs.com>

------=_Part_416575_1642671616.1627428125082

Bill,

I don't believe I deserved the win, but I'll pay it forward at some future =
date!  It was a totally unexpected thrill that I'll never forget.  Thank yo=
u Bill!

As everyone may be aware I had problems with the TR8 all weekend.  I only g=
ot about 14 hot laps on a new track for me.  So I stepped into the TR7 with=
out the proper preparation for the race.  I knew I had to go deep into the =
corner to maintain the lead, but Oh Sh......I totally cooked it into the co=
rner.  I left you with no other choice than run off track.  It was my fault=
, so I didn't feel you needed to give back the spot.

I agree with the comment below; well done Bill.  I owe someone a favor in r=
eturn!

Curt Johnston=20

>     On 07/27/2021 9:02 AM Alfetta95 via Fot <fot@autox.team.net> wrote:
>     =20
>     =20
>     And THATS why this is called the gentlemen=E2=80=99s sport.   Well do=
ne Bill!!
>     =20
>     =20
>=20
>=20
>         > > On Jul 27, 2021, at 10:41 AM, Ponostyle via Fot <fot@autox.te=
am.net> wrote:
> >=20
> >=20
> >     >=20
>         > >         I=E2=80=99ve had a lot of questions about why I slowe=
d down in the last lap of the Kastner Cup race to let Curt Johnston catch u=
p and take first. Peyote was running fine and I had plenty of gas, though I=
 was nursing a rising water temperature. It wasn=E2=80=99t the car, that cr=
azy little car could have done ten more laps, no problem. There were three =
reasons, all good ones.=20
> >         =20
> >         First=E2=80=94I blew the chicane on the start and improved my p=
osition. True, I mostly had to to keep from potentially turning into Curt a=
nd he blew it too, but I blew it first, I blew it worst, and Curt didn=E2=
=80=99t improve his position. I should have conceded the position and then =
worked to get by him. But in the heat of the first few laps I didn=E2=80=99=
t. Once I settled into race rhythm I thought about it and decided to conced=
e a position down the straight where everyone could see the pass and then b=
attle for the finish and give the families and friends something to get exc=
ited about. But while I was ruminating about how to do it the last lap sign=
 came out. Curt was a long way back. I backed off for the entire lap but he=
 probably did too, so just lifting after turn nine and letting him by was t=
he only way to make good. It was a legitimate win for Curt.=20
> >         =20
> >         Second=E2=80=94it was the first race for Curt in that lovely TR=
7, and he gave me a great race for the entire race. I could keep him behind=
 me, but I had to work my ass off. He deserved the win and winning is a gre=
at way to start his relationship with a great car.=20
> >         =20
> >         Third=E2=80=94It=E2=80=99s my last race in Peyote. I=E2=80=99ll=
 be selling it on to a racer who can and will drive it like it deserves to =
be driven. Peyote has been raced more or less continuously for about 62 yea=
rs, my stewardship is about a third of that, 22 years. It=E2=80=99s given m=
e so much fun, and has always punched way above its weight. It's won so man=
y podiums over the years in the hands of a lot of fine drivers. There was j=
ust no way I was going to finish my last race knowing that I should have do=
ne something different. The car deserves better.
> >         =20
> >         Here=E2=80=99s a video of the chicane chicanery: https://youtu.=
be/3S2kHtarkt8
> >         =20
> >         Bill Babcock
> >         Beach Bum
> >         bill@ponostyle.com mailto:bill@ponostyle.com
> >         https://www.Ponostyle.com
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
>     fot@autox.team.net
>=20
>     http://www.fot-racing.com
>=20
>     Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>     Archive: http://autox.team.net/archive http://www.team.net/pipermail/=
fot
>     Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/fot/curt.jo=
hnston@comcast.net
>=20
>=20
>=20

------=_Part_416575_1642671616.1627428125082

<!doctype html>
 <head>=20
 </head>
olor: #333333;">
olor: #333333;">
   &nbsp;
olor: #333333;">
 I deserved the win, but I'll pay it forward at some future date!&nbsp; It =
was a totally unexpected thrill that I'll never forget.&nbsp; Thank you Bil=
l!</span>
olor: #333333;">
   &nbsp;
olor: #333333;">
 be aware I had problems with the TR8 all weekend.&nbsp; I only got about 1=
4 hot laps on a new track for me.&nbsp; So I stepped into the TR7 without t=
he proper preparation for the race.&nbsp; I knew I had to go deep into the =
corner to maintain the lead, but Oh Sh......I totally cooked it into the co=
rner.&nbsp; I left you with no other choice than run off track.&nbsp; It wa=
s my fault, so I didn't feel you needed to give back the spot.</span>
olor: #333333;">
   &nbsp;
olor: #333333;">
e comment below; well done Bill.&nbsp; I owe someone a favor in return!</sp=
an>
olor: #333333;">
   &nbsp;
olor: #333333;">
bsp;</span>
    On 07/27/2021 9:02 AM Alfetta95 via Fot &lt;fot@autox.team.net&gt; wrot=
e:
    &nbsp;
    &nbsp;
    And THATS why this is called the gentlemen=E2=80=99s sport. &nbsp; Well=
 done Bill!!
    &nbsp;
    &nbsp;
     On Jul 27, 2021, at 10:41 AM, Ponostyle via Fot &lt;fot@autox.team.net=
&gt; wrote:
      I=E2=80=99ve had a lot of questions about why I slowed down in the la=
st lap of the Kastner Cup race to let Curt Johnston catch up and take first=
. Peyote was running fine and I had plenty of gas, though I was nursing a r=
ising water temperature. It wasn=E2=80=99t the car, that crazy little car c=
ould have done ten more laps, no problem. There were three reasons, all goo=
d ones.&nbsp;
      &nbsp;
      First=E2=80=94I blew the chicane on the start and improved my positio=
n. True, I mostly had to to keep from potentially turning into Curt and he =
blew it too, but I blew it first, I blew it worst, and Curt didn=E2=80=99t =
improve his position. I should have conceded the position and then worked t=
o get by him. But in the heat of the first few laps I didn=E2=80=99t. Once =
I settled into race rhythm I thought about it and decided to concede a posi=
tion down the straight where everyone could see the pass and then battle fo=
r the finish and give the families and friends something to get excited abo=
ut. But while I was ruminating about how to do it the last lap sign came ou=
t. Curt was a long way back. I backed off for the entire lap but he probabl=
y did too, so just lifting after turn nine and letting him by was the only =
way to make good. It was a legitimate win for Curt.&nbsp;
      &nbsp;
      Second=E2=80=94it was the first race for Curt in that lovely TR7, and=
 he gave me a great race for the entire race. I could keep him behind me, b=
ut I had to work my ass off. He deserved the win and winning is a great way=
 to start his relationship with a great car.&nbsp;
      &nbsp;
      Third=E2=80=94It=E2=80=99s my last race in Peyote. I=E2=80=99ll be se=
lling it on to a racer who can and will drive it like it deserves to be dri=
ven. Peyote has been raced more or less continuously for about 62 years, my=
 stewardship is about a third of that, 22 years. It=E2=80=99s given me so m=
uch fun, and has always punched way above its weight. It's won so many podi=
ums over the years in the hands of a lot of fine drivers. There was just no=
 way I was going to finish my last race knowing that I should have done som=
ething different. The car deserves better.
      &nbsp;
      Here=E2=80=99s a video of the chicane chicanery:=20
      <a class=3D"" href=3D"https://youtu.be/3S2kHtarkt8";>https://youtu.be/=
3S2kHtarkt8</a>
      &nbsp;
       <strong class=3D"">Bill Babcock</strong>
       <em class=3D"">Beach Bum</em>
       <a class=3D"" href=3D"mailto:bill@ponostyle.com";>bill@ponostyle.com<=
/a>
il/fot