fot

[Fot] Clevite rod bearings

Subject: [Fot] Clevite rod bearings
From: van.mulders.marcel at telenet.be (Van Mulders Marcel)
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 10:26:00 +0200
I recently bought Trimetal .010" main bearings from Moss Motors for a TR6
engine, after aluminium main bearings had failed and caused damage troughout
the engine. A Penrite laboratorium did analyse the oil : massive amounts of
all sorts of engine metals, even bronze coming from the valve guides. I
heard off another similar case of engine damage probably caused by aluminium
main bearings (TR3 engine). Maybe there is a poor batch of bearings around,
or aluminium bearings should ALWAYS be avoided, at least in a race engine. I
used Running in oil (penrite) :  it is of no benefit it seems, and probably
it's better not to use it. Any experiences?
Marcel

  _____