fot

Re: [Fot] Advice...

To: Andrew Mace <herald948@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Advice...
From: Michael Porter <mdporter@dfn.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 19:27:31 -0700
On 11/23/2010 7:04 PM, Andrew Mace wrote:
>   This has been done by a few folks in the TR6 (and even one that I know of in
> a Sports 6) using at least the BW-35 autobox from a Triumph 2000 sedan, which
> actually might be more plentiful in Canada than in the US? In the case of the
> one Sports 6 conversion I heard about, it involved some very major
> reconstructive surgery of the chassis, since the old Borg-Warner is an
> extremely bulky unit.
>
> Maybe there's something more modern out there nowadays that can be made to
> fit....
>

> --Andy Mace

If the chassis surgery required to install the Borg-Warner is simply
more work than the guy wants to entertain, and no modern equivalent is
suitable, I'll throw out a couple of wild-assed guesses on other
options--a decent fab and machining shop could probably adapt the
working bits of the VW automatic stick shift to the car.  Would likely
require some welding and modification to the bellhousing to fit the
solenoid and some modification of shifter extension for the switches,
but it could probably be done.  A similar--and less invasive--approach
would be to use the existing bits, except to substitute one of the
hydraulic clutch throw-out bearing units currently in use (Herman?) and
then find a suitably-sized electric or electric servo piloted
vacuum-operated solenoid to operate the clutch master.  A Spitfire
shifter arm with a knob-mounted clutch switch would, with a little
practice, make shifting almost indistinguishable from standard.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....
fot@autox.team.net

http://www.fot-racing.com

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive