fot

Re: Tires, how long can they be used

To: Rocky Entriken <rocky@tri.net>
Subject: Re: Tires, how long can they be used
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 10:33:45 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

I'd also like to point out that in addition to UV, chemicals also attack
tire compounds and harden them. I don't have any hard data on the subject,
but it is rumored the ozone is a contributor to tire demise. So, if you
store your tires inside over the winter, don't store them near any
electric motors or other sources of ozone.

Regarding tire "stuff" like Formula V and Track Claw and Hot Laps, I have
used FV and it seemed to make my year old R210 Goodyears last a bit longer
than they might have.

I also "bag" my tires in pallet wrap to try to reduce the outgassing over
the winter. I don't have a durometer, so I have no idea if all this
preventative maintenance actually helps or not.

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |